Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Boons & Banes of specific GTAW electrode
- - By - Date 11-19-2000 18:41
I work as a welder/fitter in the aluminum division of Vertex RSI Antennae products. We make quite extensive use of the GTAW process in the fabrication of aluminum products. (AC high freq.) We are provided with 2%thoriated electrodes, however I know that pure tungsten is typically reccomended for use on aluminum. Granted, thoriated electrodes have higher current capacity but their propensity to collect impurities and therefore cause a an erratic and poorly directed arc seems to negate this benefit. (The "cauliflower syndrome") In light of this issue, I have several questions: What benefit,(besides current capacity/electron emission) does the use of thoriated electrodes provide? In addition, do thoriated electrodes present an increased risk of weld discontinuities in aluminum? Any information, or recommended reading on this subject would be helpful.

Thanks
Parent - By awill4x4 (**) Date 11-20-2000 12:02
Here in Australia, 98% of all our welding is TIG, on Cr/Moly, Stainless Steel and aluminium. (that's how it's spelled in England and Australia, aluminium with the extra i. )
We use the 2% thoriated electrodes on DC welding only on SS and Cr/Moly.
On any Aluminium welding we use either Zirconated or increasingly Ceriated. We have found Ceriated electrodes to be excellent, particularly for fine TIG welding. They form a tiny ball on the end of a ground point and the arc stability is excellent. If you overheat the the electrode with too much current for the electrode size, then a normal ball will form. They are more tolerant than Zirconated to overheating which has a tendency towards an unstable ball at high currents.
In our experience Thoriated electrodes are far better suited to DC welding applications
regards Andrew.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Boons & Banes of specific GTAW electrode