Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Changing Careers and Welding Certs
- - By DaveHath Date 09-21-2005 08:42
Hi everybody I'm new to this sight, I have to say there is some great resources here. I am considering a career change. I am an auto body technician; I've been doing this for about 18 years. I grew up in the trade my father owned a shop. I've been welding since I was 13 but have never held any Certifications, never was required to. I now have an interest in becoming certified for AWS D.1.1 and maybe get certified for pipe welding, I am also interested in obtaining my WABO certifications. I'm not too worried about the sheet metal cert with WABO. It is the structural and pipe that concerns me. I use GMAW almost daily and do GTAW at the house as a hobby. I am comfortable welding up to 3/8 material with either process. I 'm also pretty comfortable with FCAW. My concern is I haven't done much O/A since HS and I haven't done any SMAW since 1993. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make the transition? I know I have to lock myself in the garage and burn some rods. Also what is the pay in like in the North West? I would really hate to take a giant pay cut I'm making $21/HR now, but I'm getting tired of the way things have become in the industry
Thanks Dave
Parent - By Firebird (*) Date 10-06-2005 21:39
The U S Dept of Labor (Bureau of Labor Statistics, or something like that) maintains statistics by every imaginable careeer path and arranges them by ZIP Codes, etc. I would be somewhat suprised if you could get into a welding position with limited experience and a new certification at near $21.00 to start. In any case, check their web site; it's very interesting to compare wages, locations, and occupations.

I would reccomend taking night classes at a local community college in order to get your cert's. That's how I did it (augmented by doing side work in my garage at home).
Parent - By M Baker (**) Date 11-17-2005 17:25
Be sure to check http://www.welding.org and explore your options.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-18-2005 01:50
Hello DaveHath, your mention of WABO illicits a give away that you are located in Washington state or a close proximity. I teach at a community college in Longview, Wa. If you would like to converse about some of your options for training or testing drop me a line. aevald@lcc.ctc.edu. I would be happy to try to answer some of your questions. Regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Changing Careers and Welding Certs