Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hurricane Rita
- - By - Date 09-22-2005 15:04
Everyone,
Please take time to remember all victims of Hurricane Kitrina. Also, please remember in your prayers the people evacuating the latest disaster headed right towards Galveston, Hurricane Rita. Being born and raised on Galveston Island, I know the horrible damage that is going to happen there in the next couple of days. Too, I have not been able to contact my family (father, brother, daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren) to see if they have made it safely out of Galveston. I'm asking each of you to please pray for ALL of the people being affected by this monster storm. Thank you.

Chuck
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-22-2005 16:25
Chuck, my thoughts are certainly with you, and your family. I have some very dear friends down near Galvestone and I just sent them an e-mail hoping they had left. I've been to Galvestone many times and remember some of the historical hurricanes in that area. Praying this one will divert. Keep us tuned in, please!
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-22-2005 17:04
I'm convinced that, although there are many religions, God is only one. So, let's everyone of us pray God within the religion he (or she) follows, which I'll certainly do. I'm not a Presbyterian, but right after this posting I'll go to the chapel of Mackenzie Presbyterian University to raise my pray.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By - Date 09-22-2005 17:27
Giovanni,
Very well spoken. Thank you so much, both to you and Jon. What is the more powerful force in the world??? PRAYER..

Chuck
Parent - - By kuppuWeld (*) Date 09-23-2005 03:07
Mr Chuck,

All of us from India are praying for well being of our brothers and sisters in USA.We also have been severly affectd by TSUNAMI couple of months ago.We know the pain.

I hope that god almighty will make it mild and safe.

Kuppusamy M V

Parent - - By - Date 09-23-2005 03:32
We thank you for you prayers and also realize your suffering from the Tsunami. Our prayers go out to you, too.

Chuck
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-23-2005 09:35
Oh Man... I just noticed my mis-spelling of Galveston!!! :-0

Sorry Chuck! Stammering for an excuse here but can't grasp one!
Parent - By - Date 09-23-2005 12:25
Jon, Jon, Jon,
You will never be forgiven for the mis-spelling !!!! (you know I'm joking)
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-23-2005 06:38
Count me in on the prayer thing too.
Bill
Parent - - By backpurge (*) Date 09-23-2005 11:36
Best wishes from all in the UK, you're in our thoughts
Parent - By - Date 09-23-2005 12:24
Hi Bob,
Thanks..It's good to know that our UK brothers are thinking of our people. It is greatly apreciated.

Chuck
Parent - - By - Date 09-23-2005 12:26
Thanks so much, Bill...
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-23-2005 12:36
It's really incredible. In the US, we offer help to nearly every nation in crisis or peril; as citizens, we seldom hear a "thank you" which is obviously discouraging since it is the citizens money which funds relief. Yet, on this message board, I've seen people from several nations wishing us well and offering their thoughts and prayers. This does wonders for my soul knowing that in times of crisis we are all brothers and sisters, regardless of religious or political believes.
Parent - - By backpurge (*) Date 09-23-2005 13:04
Deep down we're all the same, it's the "powers on high" that cause the problems then expect the ordinary guys to pick up the pieces
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-23-2005 13:10
Ain't it the truth. No matter how individual people may feel they always tend to be viewed the same as their political or religious leaders... an unfortunate phenomenom. As you say, when you get down to "real" people, we're pretty much all cut from the same cloth.

(Please don't let my comments turn this post into something other than a thought / prayerline for those victims of circumstances beyond their control!).
Parent - By - Date 09-23-2005 13:29
Jon and Bob,
Thank you both for your latest responses. When our colleagues have their families lives in jeopardy, it sort of puts things in perspective. Recognizing and offering prayers for our brothers and sisters ( I still have not heard from my brother, which has me very concerned) should not bother any of us by using the AWS forum to spread the need for prayers. If it offends anyone, I do NOT apologize, because I know that prayers work. In this forum we are all "family" and it is not wrong to care for each other. Having all of my family displaced by the monster of a storm and one of my family already unaccounted for, makes a welding procedure or weld defect, etc. seem so insignificant. From all our brothers and sisters affected by this, I thank you.

Chuck
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-26-2005 11:37
Chuck,
I hope that by now you have heard from your brother. I just prayed that you would.

The storms have been increasing in frequency and intensity over the last few years. Earthquakes and other so called natural disasters are more common as well. I believe they plus the wars and rumors of wars are signs of the times we are living in. Read the left behind series by Tim Lahay.

I recently had to have a medical procedure performed at the hospital. On one of the forms you are required to fill out they had a place for race and religion. For race I put down human and for religion I put down Christian. Because the thread started with prayer and concern for others I would point you all to the Bible.

May God bless America
Dennis
Parent - - By - Date 09-26-2005 11:50
Dennis,
Yes, I have heard from all of my family, thank you. I cannot tell you how much your prayers are appreciated. All of my remaining family are good God-fearing Christian people, so our faith carried us through. Even an AWS post can be a means of requesting prayer duing disasters, whether it is in the USA or any other part of the world. The bottom line is we are all brothers and sisters in God's eyes, and His eyes are the only ones that matter. Yes, I have had to fill out forms asking my race and religion and I'm amused somewhat to think that anyone could consider that there is more than one race...the human race. In my opinion there is also only one religion...Christian or non-Christian. Dennis, I will not comment any more on this subject in this forum for fear of offending someone, but I again thank you for your prayers.

Chuck
Parent - - By backpurge (*) Date 09-26-2005 12:07
Glad to hear everyone is ok Chuck

Cheers - Bob
Parent - By - Date 09-26-2005 12:20
Bob,
Thank you so much. It is good to know that folks like yourself and the rest of our good friends from the UK are concerned about our well being. It definitely means a lot. Thanks again.

Chuck
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-26-2005 13:43
Chuck;

At the risk of turning this thread into something it wasn't meant to be, I too feel the "one religion thing" holds true for me. While I consider myself a Christian, it's hard for me to understand why our brothers and sisters of other faiths (and even our own Christian counter-parts) have to fight one another over who is right and who is wrong.

To me, I have faith in a higher existence; whether that existence is named Budda, Christ, God, Allah or Mohammed (probably missing a few through my ignorance) we should accept each others beliefs rather than trying to force ours down the throats of others.

It is unfortunate that religious zeal has probably killed more humans than any other cause since the awakening of human consciousness.
Parent - By - Date 09-26-2005 13:46
Jon,
Well stated and true. Thank you very much.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hurricane Rita