Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of AISI 406 grade magnetic SS
- - By ptccal (*) Date 11-20-2000 11:09
VERY URGENT!!

Dear Sir.

I have to Weld AISI SS of the following composition

C- 0.15%
Mn - 1.0%
Si - 1.0%
P - 0.04% & S - 0.03%
Cr - 12-14%
Al - 3.5-4.5%

Kindly let me know what consumable to use and whether any pre or post weld heat treatment is required. Can it be welded with ER 420 or ER 309L consumable. I want to do Tig welding.
Thanking you in advance,

With kind regards

Mukesh Agarwal
Parent - - By pdweldor (*) Date 11-22-2000 20:47
309 should hold this stuff together. You could also use a 409 or 409Cb. There may be some differences in corrosion resistance, so if the part to be welded is in an aggressive corrosive environment, this issue would require more consideration. 420 is a very hardenable martensitic type of stainless steel and should be avoided whenever possible.

The material that you are joining is an aluminum stabilized ferritic type of stainless steel based on looking at the chemistry. This is a weird composition. I have never heard of type 406, nor is it in any of the standards that I looked in.

Are the P & S values you listed maximums? If the P & S contents are high you may see some cracking problems.

Regards.
Parent - By ptccal (*) Date 11-24-2000 07:31
Dear Sir,

The part to be welded will be subjected to about 600 deg temp. and is an electrical part of an automobile (Dumper). Kindly advise whether 309L will work or not.

Kindly treat this as VERY VERY URGENT!!

Thank you,

With kind regards

Mukesh Agarwal
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of AISI 406 grade magnetic SS