Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Hardness Test on the Header
- - By khodabandeh (**) Date 09-29-2005 09:23
Dear Sir,
In the water intake basin of the utility poroject, welding of the headers has been carried out according to ASME sec.VIII for this reason the contractor must perform preheat for the thickness of more than 32mm up to 93 degree centigrade .But the contractor has not paid attention to this fact therefore PWHT must be performed. Remmeber the mataerial is P no.1 (st52).
The contractor do not want to carry out PWHT and has decided to carry out Hardness Test instead of PWHT.
I do not agree with this decision because the headers have not PWHT and we do not require hardness test.Also according to table UCS-56 ASME sec.VIII preheat or PWHT is required and there is no limitation for hardness test.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-29-2005 10:01
khodabandeh; with all due respect, having read and responded to your other postings, it sounds like you have no control over your contractor.

As a Representative of the Owner, YOU must either gain that control, forcing your contractor to comply with codes and specifications or hire someone who will. Personally, if I were your manager, based on the other issues I've read, you would be terminated.

I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but it seems to me that you are using this Forum as a board to cry over your own faults, seeking some "magic" solution! The solution is simple; get contol of YOUR project!
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 09-29-2005 11:21
Dear Jon,
with all due respect,here, the owner do not support the representative(my copany) therefore the owner paid attention to the contractor decision.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-29-2005 11:53
khodabandeh; if the Owner does not support THEIR Representative, you might as well resign your position and seek employment with the contractor! With all due respect, NOTHING discussed here, in this Forum will make any difference especially if the Owner does not care enough to support THEIR Representative.

I'm very sorry to say, I for one, cannot be bothered offering advice or suggestions that ultimately fall on deaf ears!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-29-2005 16:42
I do not see any provision that allows PWHT to be ommited because hardness tests have been performed.

That should be all the support you need.

Gerald
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-30-2005 20:13
Khodabandeh,
I'm also an engineer from a third world, underdeveloped country and I understand how you feel. You and me know that in third world, underdeveloped countries things are not as easy as, and do not work as well as they do in first world, superdeveloped ones.
One example among hundreds is the difficulty in getting the last edition of any Code or standard, which I mentioned in another posting and was not entirely understood by the other frequentors of this Forum. None of their fault, they just aren't accostumed to the hard times we are used to have.
So, I decided to give you a third world, underdeveloped hand to help you getting off the mess you're into.
It's a well known fact that residual stresses in metals increase their hardness. It's also a well known fact that an increase in hardness decreases the corrosion resistance of a metal.
This is not of a great concern in ASME/ANSI B31.1 Code for Power Piping, because in a power station there aren't highly corrosive services, but it's of a great concern in B31.3 Code for Chemical Plant Piping, because in chemical plants THERE ARE highly corrosive services.
So, B31.1 says nothing, but B31.3 requires that after stress relief the hardness of the weld metal and HAZ be lower that a certain value, usually 210 BHN (Brinell). Nowadays residual stresses can be measured by means of a portable x-ray difractometer, but when that Code was first written this equipment didn't exist and the only way to have an idea of the residual stress was by ANALOGY with hardness. The higher the hardness the higher the stress, and viceversa.
So far, the Code says nothing on x-ray difractometry and keeps on speaking of Brinell hardness.
So, what your contractor is trying to do is to convice you to make an analogy between ASME VIII and B31.3. The analogy is the following:
"We'll measure the hardness of the vessel weld, and if the hardness is less than 210 BHN we can assume that the residual stresses are below the safety allowable maximum. In this case, we don't need to make the PWHT of the vessel".
My opinion is the following: if the vessel has been designed and constructed according to ASME VIII and this is written in the contract documents, then ASME VIII is the same in first, second and third world countries, as well as in the Moon, Saturn and Jupiter: it must be followed and stop saying nonsenses. When the contractor signed the contract, he of course had read it and should have included in his price all the requirements of the codes and standards that were mentioned in it.
Now, Khodabandeh, I must say that you're trying to use this Forum as a source of free engineering advice, and this isn't fair. If you're having difficulty in understanding the Codes and standards, then you should hire a consultant and be prepared to pay a reasonable fee. A competent consultant will interpreter the applicable standards and will be ready to discuss them with the "difficult to talk with" contractor.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-30-2005 20:36
Giovanni; you hit things DIRECTLY on target!!!

No one minds helping out anyone here, but when the posts are only WHINING that their contractor will not follow their contract AND the person doing the whining is the Chief Welding Inspector/Engineer/Owners Representative, then one can only say "Do your job, or resign" and nothing else.
Parent - - By - Date 09-30-2005 21:14
Khod,
Your post presents no questions. All you are doing is showing your total lack of control and inability to make sound decisions. Sir, with respect, I cannot see how you are still employed. From reading this for the last 3 days, it appears that you are inviting us to your pity party, and I respectfully decline. From reading all the other posts you've left, it appears to me you are totally in the wrong line of work. Your contractor already has you in his scopes; you are not listened to and it doesn't appear that they respect you. At this point you are just wasting all our time with trivial nonsense. Instead of spending all your time in this forum, you need to be spending some time with people that have enough backbone to stand up to this contractor, if it's not too late.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-30-2005 23:19
Right on, Chuck. I only add this; all of the peole of this Forum LOVE helping people; it's why we're here! There are maybe a few who come for glory and ego but the VAST majority sincerely wish to help people! Although I really hate to say it, Khodabandeh I believe your situation is beyond our help...
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 10-01-2005 10:39
With all due respect,I do not want to waste all your time.Also I like my country therefor I try to solve the problems according to the standard, due to this cause if I can not find any way,I discuss with expert engineer.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-04-2005 06:25
I don't know if you are familiar with dilbert (the comic http://www.dilbert.com/) but it seems like you are trapped in the strip. On the one hand you have your pointy haired bosses who seem to only be concerned with moving the project foreward even if that means reduction in quality. On the other hand you have the elbonian contractors who in a previous question seem to have come to the rather amazing conclusion that when short a length of pipe a good strategy is to weld together a bucket full of nipples. It seems to me, although I don't really know, that you could fedex a length of pipe halfway around the world cheaper than doing that with the attending testing to allow for use in a high pressure and temperature application. I assume that some pressure is being applied to you to sign off on all of this. I don't know where you are but if it were, say, Saddam's Iraq the pressure might even be quite forceful.

The one certainty here is that if, God forbid, some catastrophe should occur you will get to look out your office door at all the people now pressuring you to approve lower standards, and they will all be pointing at you and saying "he signed off on it".

You need to be very careful. As much as possible your communications should be in writing and you should keep copies. You should keep a journal in a blank book bound in such a way that a page cannot be removed in an undetectable way. Keep your ethic high, report things you feel substandard to your bosses in writing and in your journal. At least in the US such a journal is very helpful legal protection if needed.

Good luck
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Hardness Test on the Header