Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / INSPECTION OF MY OWN WELD'S AS A CWI
- - By gollestad Date 09-30-2005 23:38
HI all
I have an QC Manger that said no CWI can inspect there own weld.
With that said I am not finding anything in black & white that it is OK or NOT
to do this.

Any idea's?
Parent - - By - Date 09-30-2005 23:59
That's a good one..A CWI is certified to visually inspect welds. I've never seen where it says it can't be yours. For me, it's been about 20 years, but I believe we all took an oath to be fair and honest. If one can't be fair and honest with himself then he should not be a CWI in the first place. I vote a big YES !!! You are not inspecting the person who made the weld, but the weld itself.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-01-2005 01:26
lol, C'mon Chuck! You are NOT able to inspect your own welds. Anyone elses, yes, but not our own!!! Tell me what standard you are inspecting to, and I will tell you WHY you are not able to do it...

Sorry Chuck, it just ain't gonna be so...
Parent - - By gollestad Date 10-01-2005 01:55
AWS D1.1 or D1.5
I am looking for it in black & white
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-01-2005 09:33
Try checking the Ethics portion of the CWI standard.
Parent - - By - Date 10-01-2005 12:24
C' mon Jon...LOL...Just don't tell anyone...Sign a fake name...Get a false ID...Use an old welders stamp...(joking)
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-01-2005 19:22
LMFAO!!! Disappearing ink.....
Parent - By henri (*) Date 10-01-2005 03:49
Many major jobs these days stipulate AISC accrediatation for fabricators. If the fabricator is AISC accredited check AISC audit policy #31 http://www.aisc.org/Content/NavigationMenu/AISC_Certification/Fabricators/Fabricators.htm
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-02-2005 14:38
My manager has also asked me to inspect my own work, and that of the the welders that work for the company. I am asked to write reports as to my findings. There is no conflict if the owner of the welding project and the EOR are informed prior to the start of work . With disclosure the report is as good as your reputation. Conflict comes in when you get paid for the same work by two different entities, or when you hide the truth. See AWS QC1:96 8.4

I am writting a report today for repair welding where I personally went out to the job site and witnessed some of the worst welding possible. I made the repairs necessary to meet code requirements myself. The issues were size and undercutt. I have been asked to write a report to the effect that all welding done by my company on this project is now in compliance with the code. It will be written on company letterhead with me as the repair welder.

I never like these situations because they can be viewed as self serving. However I tell it like it is and hide nothing. The report is then worth whatever those that use it say it is worth.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-03-2005 11:43
I replied to this in the other forum where it was posted.
John Wright

I don't think it's a good idea. See my comments in the other thread.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 11-01-2005 19:36
The MPSC (public service commission) requires us to provide 100% VT. The only way to due this is to provide training and testing in inspection to the field welders. (if you are familiar with OQ requirements) The state accepts this practice.
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 11-10-2005 20:37
As a welder you are responsible to inspect your own work; you are the first line of inspection. Section 5 of AWS D1.1, Paragraph 5.30.2 requires weld cleaning which is for the purpose of inspection. The welder should look at his finished weld, accept it, and move on to the next weld.

Paras. 6.1.2.1 & 6.1.3.1 specify inspector responsibilities. You, as a CWI, are not performing this responsibility; however, your company's welding inspector is most likely doing so.

AWS D1.1 & AWS D1.5 are standards of good workmanship that can be achieved with normal industry practices. Rather than rock the boat with your QC manager, relax and enjoy the ride because you can't win this one.
Best regards,
Vonash
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / INSPECTION OF MY OWN WELD'S AS A CWI