Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Ed Craig
- - By mdm8255 Date 10-04-2005 15:01
Who is this guy that glorifies himself and knocks all welding processes and claims to be the weld guru. Our engineering manager brought him in as a consultant and so far all he does is knocks AWS and all power supply makers like Lincoln, Miller etc.
Is he the real thing????
Parent - By - Date 10-04-2005 15:13
Give us his web site.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-04-2005 15:16
Ed Craig can be found at WWW.weldreality.com

Ed just tells it like it is... He is hard on many vendors because vendors are often hard on their customers.. American manufacturing facilities are filled with $10,000 pulsed welding power sources that have the pulse programs switched to the off position because they were never necessary... Ed takes sales folks to task.

Sure he is abrasive and a ranter on his website.... But I find his advice and the work he has published to be of the highest quality. The guy has a real grasp of process control.

Ed has served on MANY code committees and has been a presenter at AWS Expos.

My advice with Ed's publications, like any other commentary, is to eat the meat and spit out the bones.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-04-2005 15:20
I agree completely Lawrence. Ed Craig's publications and advice are outstanding but he certainly doesn't play well with others!

I had the *pleasure* of meeting him in person when I was an AWS Staff member and although I greatly admired his work, I'm afraid my summation of his personality traits could not be stated in this Forum!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-04-2005 15:26
My comments (about Ed) are in the other thread you have going.
John Wright
Parent - - By mdm8255 Date 10-04-2005 16:35
Thnks, good advice, I will try and over look his personality and find out about the technical advice he is offering. You have to admit he is very rough around the edges.
Parent - By rgood08x Date 10-05-2005 12:30
Listen, I'm going to give it to you straight. I'm currently in the automotive supplier business, and we do some of the hardest welding possible: thin guage material with high speed robotic application. If anyone disagrees with that statement, try setting up an .045" MIG wire in spray for welding 2.5mm material traveling at about 60in/min, it isn't a walk in the park. There are some cases in this industry where "salesmanship" will trump weld expertise, and weld expertise is sometimes viewed as how long someone has been able to weld (like it's any harder than writing your name...no offense pipe weldors). With the deep pockets of the auto industry, we are assaulted daily with people giving a ton of "revolutionizing" or "highly technologically advanced" sales pitches, but with no one really understanding the logic behind welding. This guy is the last of a dying breed. He keeps everyone grounded. Yes, he may be "rough around the edges", but how else do you expect to get anyone's attention when most managers walk around in the clouds like nothing is wrong and everything is operating correctly? He stand-off attitude, or the "cut the b*llsh*t" manner is probably partly due to frustration because he has to go around fixing all of the mistakes that could have been avoided if people would just read a little or quit taking everything that is in a brochure as the absolute fact. I had the same opinion as you when he first came in and inspected one of my plants; I was pissed and thought "who the hell is this guy coming in here telling me rah rah rah rah......." Then I did a little reading on his site, and did the most career changing thing ever....took his 30 question test and couldn't have passed the thing with a gun to my head. Anyway, short story long, it's okay to get initially offended, but go to his site and take his test, and you're going to find out how little you really know......then grow. He can be as rough around the edges as he wants....'cause he's right.
Parent - - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 11-01-2005 01:30
Ed is a very knowledgable welding expert. I have known him for a long time and I am familiar with his work.

His advice is well worth heeding.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 11-01-2005 14:50
I agree with all the problems with in the industry and processes that Mr. Craig sells - as everyone should, but he is trying to manipulate the very person that he is criticizing. He targets the same "ignorant" professionals that he professes against. The problem with this I see is that he over simplifies things which aren't so simple all of the time - intentionally. He helps create in some situations the same issues he says he is trying to resolve. Sorry for the slight criticism of a friend to many of you. Just my friendly opinion.
Parent - By Benesesso (*) Date 11-17-2005 17:56
Like many of us here, I think Ed "doesn't suffer fools easily".
Parent - By brande (***) Date 11-24-2005 05:27
Ed Craig's knows his stuff.

Keep in mind that the easy questions-we answer ourselves with or without local direction.

Ed gets the difficult and impossible stuff.

He is always available on his site and answers quickly.

Good Luck

brande
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Ed Craig