Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / chrome plated, cast steel belt buckle
- - By jseven Date 10-07-2005 13:03
hey. i've got a belt buckle i need to repair for my brother. it's chrome plated, and i only assume it's cast steel. the hook that goes into the belt hole has broken off, and i need to build it up or braze / solder a new one on. has anyone ever attempted this? any ideas? it's a nice lookin' buckle and i don't want to screw it up. if you could help i'd appreciate it.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-07-2005 14:12
I'm pretty sure you will mess up the plating. Are you sure that it is made of cast steel? Cast something is for sure, but it may not be steel(many times it is what I call "pot metal" for the lack of a better term). Is the material very porous?
John Wright
Parent - - By jseven Date 10-07-2005 14:53
well, yeah, it is definitly cast. porous, but not what i'd call very. looks typical to what you'd see in a sand casting if that helps.

as for the plating, my bro said i can take some off the back if necessary. do you think the heat would discolour the front? or would it just melt away and make a huge mess?

thanks for the reply by the way...
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-08-2005 06:57
Pot metal would most likely be die cast. Sand cast could be brass, a fairly common material for belt buckles. A magnet would attract steel. If brass you could drill a little hole part way thru where the hook broke off. Then solder a piece if brass into the hole. I think the plating will survive if you're careful.
Bill
Parent - By jseven Date 10-11-2005 12:11
well, i gave it a shot. turns out it is pot metal. made a mess of the backside, so it's time for plan b:metal epoxy.

thanks for the help anyway...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / chrome plated, cast steel belt buckle