Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Failure Rates?
- - By labtechy (*) Date 10-07-2005 19:56
I work in a laboratory testing weld plates. Our state welding test(x-ray) is a 1" plate 5 inches long/ 22.5 degree bevels/ 1/4" root opening w/backing bar. The plates are welded with 5/32" 7018 rod.
What is the average rate of failure? When I sat down an looked at it I was shocked (75%). Are welding schools pumping out "welders" with no chance of passing a test? Granted most of these people testing have little or no experience. They are applying for jobs(this scares me). Some of these fail the visual , are undersize, oversize or have run off strips on them.
Granted the PQR plates we receive are very good. I'm guessing these are from welders who made the cut.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-07-2005 20:28
Seems to me most of the blame should go to the people who are submitting the test.

If I fail the weld visually why send it to be tested.If the weld is not flush or has excessive reinforcement why send it to be tested. Does your state not allow the removal of excessive weld reinforcement? If I was submitting a weld test the runoff tabs would have been removed.
Parent - By labtechy (*) Date 10-11-2005 17:31
Yes, NY state allows the plate to be ground flush.(this helps with the x-ray). Run off strips are not allowed. The point of the test is to see if you can get an x ray quality weld in a 5" joint. Only 3 consecutive inches are used.
The reason, the welder failed the visual.... It was obvious it wouldn't pass the radiograph. Generally, the inspector in the field will submit only the paperwork on a plate that has failed its visual.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Failure Rates?