Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / FILLET WELD DIA. QUALIFIED AWS D1.1-2004
- - By jerrykroll (**) Date 10-11-2005 15:43
I have comiserated for some time the most proper interpretation of Table 4.9, used in conjunction with Table 4.10., as follows:

If a welder qualifies with a plate groove, Table 4.9 indicates qualification is included for pipe fillets, (as long as dihedral angle is not less than 30d).

Nowhere does it address diameter restriction/allowance. Note 3 (24" restriction) would appear to apply to groove welds only.

Can anyone help clarify whether the code simply does not specifically address fillet weld DIAMETER, and the welder is qualified for all diameter fillet welds, or am I missing something ? ASME IX is pretty clear on this matter (QW-452.6)

Elsewhere in Table 4.10, (production T-Y-K connnection fillet welds) there is a provision to test a fillet weld of dia. "D" to qualify fillet welding "D" and greater. I will generally have a welder do a pipe fillet weld test on the smallest dia. he may encounter as well as the groove plate to CMA.

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-11-2005 16:37
jerry,
AWS D1.1:2004 paragraph 4.18.1.2 isn't any clearer either, it mentions groove welds in diameters of 24" and greater, but the qualification for fillets, it only specifies the positions of 1F and 2F and no mention of any diameter restrictions. I take it to say that to weld pipe fillets you have to roll the pipe while welding to maintain welding in the proper position(1F or 2F). (ie. welding the cap and base plates on a 12" pipe column.)
John Wright

edit: I should add that I'm speaking of using a 2G plate test as the qualifying test.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / FILLET WELD DIA. QUALIFIED AWS D1.1-2004