Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ER320LR weld metal overlay
- - By Dagwood (*) Date 10-12-2005 22:16
Anyone had any experience with this??? (That wants to share with me?)
I'm putting ER309L onto P1 group 2 material, then a layer of ER320LR. We have done this with SMAW a few times with really good results! Now I'm trying with hard wire, .045" dia...98% Ar, and 2% O2. Seems a bit hit and miss. No consistant results.

Loosing hair! :)
Parent - - By - Date 10-12-2005 23:21
Dagwood,
Tell Blondie Hi.

You should have no trouble, or adverse effects, welding the 320LR onto the 309L butter pass. The 320LR is a low residual filler metal that significantly lowers the weld metal hot cracking and fissuring that is prone to the fully austenitic seld metals. Using the GMAW process with the 98/2 ar-02 mixture is just what I'd recommend. What problems are you encountering? This process is not at all unusual.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 10-12-2005 23:37
Hi Chuck,
We've had similar hit-or miss problems with argon-He mixes, or Ar-02 mixes on austenitic or nickel GMAW applications before as well (mostly nickel though). I haven't had a chance to try it, but next time I have a similar project, I was going to try a shielding gas with H2 in it. Supposed to help reduce the oxides and prevent lack of fusion that can hinder this process. Have you messed around with H2 mixes, and how sucessfull is it compared to the Ar-He or Ar-02 mixes?
Parent - By - Date 10-13-2005 00:12
Yes, I have done applications using the H2 mixes, many times. To be perfectly honest, I noticed very little differences. Using this mix in the overlay process had little difference, if any, than the 98/2. I don't know what you mean by hit or miss problems. The Ar-He mixes are recommended for the pure austenitics such as nickel alloys, but I have never had a problem with the 98/2 mix and a 320 or 320LR when overlaying a butter pass of 309L. Never..In our experience, especially in Europe, the H2 mix is more popular in certain applications, mostly groove welds where side wall tie-in is concerned. Then again, I've never had any problems with tie-in problems with the 98/2, either.
Parent - By - Date 10-13-2005 00:16
One more thing..sorry..The attributes of H2 are VERY similar to helium. Very similar. I didn't say EXACT, but very similar. As stated before, the use of both H2 and He has both positive and negative results, depending on the application and the % of both. Also be prepared to pay quite a bit more here in the USA.
Parent - - By Dagwood (*) Date 10-13-2005 17:31
It seems like it will run fine for a while, then it just stops wetting in on the sides. I'm keeping my inter-pass down to below about 400-500 deg. F.
It is being run with an automatic machine, so my gun angles aren't changing...
I should have mentioned that I'm trying to run in the horizontal position. I have a Lincoln V350 pro with a pulse panel. Running around 25-30 volts and 190-210 amps. I'm on a stainless steel pulse program, I'll try the nickel alloy program today.

Pay more in the USA???
I'm on the west coast of Canada. Basking in the liquid sunshine!!! :)
Parent - - By - Date 10-13-2005 17:50
For one thing, your interpass temperature is too high. 300 deg. max. for stainless steels, and especially the pure austenitics that are more prone to hot cracking. The 320LR is definitely a pure austenitic (32-36% nickel) so I would definitely be using a nickel alloy program. Depending on the wire size you are using for the parameters you provided, welding in the horizontal position can definitely affect your tie-in capabilities. In this case you are presenting, I do not feel the gas is the culprit at all.

"Pay more in the USA" was referring to the cost of the H2 mixture in the USA as opposed to Europe. It was also referring to the cost compared to the 98/2 mixture. Wherever you are at, you will pay mmore for the H2 or He mixes than you will for the 98/2. Just call your gas distributor and ask him.

Basking in the beautiful sunshine in Dallas.
Parent - By Dagwood (*) Date 10-13-2005 18:01
Thank-you for making me jealous about your sunshine!!!

AND thank-you for your quick reply! I'll keep closer tabs on my inter-pass temperature for one thing.

I thought you were talking about the cost of the filler material. If I bought a "Made in the USA" product, there is a HUGE duty on the wire right now, but if I buy a "Made in Canada" product, the price is less than half...stupid politics!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ER320LR weld metal overlay