Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Spartan School of Aeronautics
- - By tito (**) Date 10-14-2005 15:24
I was just wondering if anybody here attended or knows anybody that attended this school in Tulsa, Ok. Just curious to find out if it was worth it to them. I went there and am doing pretty good for myself.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 10-15-2005 16:01
Well good for you.

They must have taught you well, The question and provided information was Spartan to say the least.
Parent - - By TTONKA (*) Date 10-25-2005 20:50
I graduated from Spartan with a degree in quality control and ndt. I am quite pleased with my education and where it got me. I do however believe you could get the same education at a community college much cheaper.
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 10-26-2005 11:53
I could not agree more. I think i'll be paying the rest of my life on my loan! I also went the full route (QC & NDT). I graduated in 2000 and have stayed in the QC aspect of it more than NDT, although I have done quite a bit of MT and PT at my jobs. I consider myself fairly disciplined in machining and welding inspection, due to the fact that most of my employers do both operations. The one main fact that gets me is that none, and I mean none, of the credits from Spartan transfer to any collages that I've checked into (to further my education). Oh. well, hard lesson learned!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-26-2005 12:34
[quote]"The one main fact that gets me is that none, and I mean none, of the credits from Spartan transfer to any collages that I've checked into (to further my education)."[/quote]

Ouch, that stinks. I'm sorry that you didn't find that out ahead of time.
<makes memo to self>
Certainly glad that your education was valuable to you after you invested your time, effort, and hard earned money for it. I went to college for HVAC and ended up staying with the company I presently work for(a structural steel fabricator). I would "almost" go so far as to say it was a waste, but in the HVAC trades there are many disciplines that I do use now in my present job and in everyday life.
John Wright
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 10-28-2005 12:05
I have a buddy that went to HVAC school. I saw some of his training/study material and was somewhat suprized to see a "pipefitters handbook" and also some info regarding ASME and "boilers". It makes complete sense, but I never realized he actually new about some of the things in the manufacturing industry that I deal with.

I guess going to that tech school wasn't all that bad. It just kinda sucks sometimes knowing that I'll have to start school all over again if I want to get a bachelor's degree.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-28-2005 12:24
I know what you are saying....
I got very discouraged when I was taking that course(mid/late eighties), after I almost finished what was laid out for us in that program, they added a bunch of extra courses to take because of the capture and recovery of the so called global warming gasses. So with the addition of those extra courses I failed to finish and still needed a government class and english to finish up. I was burnt out after four years of working full time 50 hours/week here at work plus attending a college that was 85 miles away each night(170 miles round trip) anyway plus several speeding tickets trying to get to class on time, that surprise with theaddition of those extra classes that meant several more semesters dealt the final blow.
John Wright
Parent - By UCSB (**) Date 10-28-2005 18:38
I've worked with several graduates of Spartan School. The most memorable was a young man that just graduated and "knew everything". We had a bit of trouble teaching him the concept of applicability vs theory. I was glad when that project was over and he was gone. A few years later he hired on to another project I was on, I was dreading it! Well, in the time that I had seen him last, he had matured and was a pleasure to work with. And, yes, he did know what he was doing.
Yes, I believe that Spartan is a good school- I even tried to get my daughter to go there.
Parent - - By LCMP Date 04-13-2006 11:26
I graduated the NDT/QC Course in Dec 2001. Since then I worked for two different NDE companies, level II across the board and API 510 on the east coast, and have now found myself working as the QC Manager for a mechanical company out here. All that in four years. Yeah, for me it was worth it. But its like anything else, it is what you make of it.
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 04-15-2006 07:35
Im graduating from community college with an associates at the end of the month. I know its not a lot to most with bachelors or more, but its a great achievement to me
Im planning to later go back and get some classes in the autocadd realm
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 04-21-2006 19:52
Tex - Congrats. An AAS in what?
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 04-28-2006 07:43
welding technology Thanks
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 04-21-2006 20:20
"I know its not a lot to most with bachelors or more,......."

But its alot more than most people have. Be proud of it.

T
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 04-28-2006 07:44
Thanks....I am assumin gyou are the original tito...now formerly known as ??
Parent - - By Scott Smith Date 04-28-2006 13:11
That is correct. I had to change it because of the idiot virus di** that screwed everything up.

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-28-2006 13:15
Contact keiko and he can probably reset all of your info so you can go back to using tito as your Sign On ID.
John Wright
Parent - - By Scott Smith Date 04-28-2006 13:40
Thanks John. I just did. I knew that's what I should have done a few days ago. I've been called the worlds biggest procrastinator before.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-28-2006 13:45
Your post count and all may have been tampered with by kill but keiko should be able to reset all of that back the way it was before that rascal got in and fooled around.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Spartan School of Aeronautics