Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS
- - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-17-2005 11:57
If I write a WPS for FCAW-G for a TC-U4(a or b) all positions is it necessary to write a WPS for all position fillet welds?

Personally I think the TC-U4(a or b) should cover fillet welds too.The positions qualified to weld in would be the same the manufacture's recommended amps,volts and wire feed speed would be the same for the groove weld and the fillets weld.

Having one WPS for groove welds and another one for fillet welds to me is a waste of time and paper(someone needs to save the trees).

Better yet is AWS D1.1 states SMAW joints can be used as FCAW joints and vice versa I should be able to put SMAW and FCAW parameters on the same WPS and be right. (not exactly what AWS D1.1 states but it is close enough)
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 10-17-2005 12:47
In my opinion you are correct (only about the joint configuration part). In my experience most of the time it will fly. However, some DOT engineers are absolutely rigid in this; they only accept one joint configuration per WPS.

I don't much care for that approach, but have adapted to the requirement.

As for putting two processes on one WPS; I would have to say that is unacceptable in my opinion.

Charles.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-17-2005 13:10
So if I write a WPS for TC-U4b which is a T-joint and Corner joint with a bevel(without backing bar) it should cover T-joints and Corner joints that just have fillet welds.

If I have a WPS for TC-U4a then another for TC-U4b I actually have 2 WPS that cover fillet welds in the positions that I have written the WPS to cover(providing the electrode is an all position wire). Correct?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-18-2005 16:41
I normally write separate WPSs for each joint configuration for 2 reasons.
First, many approving engineers are not familiar with the finer points of the D1.1 code and it takes less time to write out a separate WPS than it does to argue why I think I'm right.
Second, the WPS is supposed to provide instructions for the welder and expecting him/her to know how to interpret the situation doesn't always work out well.

I have written WPSs that list multiple processes on them; it can work OK as long as you make sure to break out the essential variables in a very clear manner. Otherwise you will find someone, somewhere, trying to adjust a gas regulator to achieve 40 CFH of CO2 while welding with 1/8" E7018. Most folks know the difference but you might be surprised.
When in doubt, K.I.S.S.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-18-2005 19:02
I agree with Chet, no reason not to write a seperate WPS for Fillets, SMAW and FCAW or whatever processes you use. Down by the page number in the Welding manual I wrote for our shop, I include the joint designation to help the welders look up these WPS's. If the drawing has a symbol with TC-U4a in the tail, they can thumb through the pages until they see TC-U4a and then look at the top of the page to see if it is the SMAW or FCAW procedure. I do include two wire sizes on the WPS for FCAW, but list seperately the parameters to follow for each wire size. These manuals were written to give the welder instructions on how to do his job, and I expect them to be familiar enough with this manual to weather the questioning auditor's flurry of questions when he arrives to do a shop audit. I've included all of the preheat tables and general fabrication notes to give the welder all he needs to do his job to our expectations. I quiz the guys every now and again to keep them on thier toes and to see if they will try to pull the answer from memory or actually look it up and show me. I would rather them show me how they know the answer.
John Wright
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-19-2005 19:30
Hey! whats wrong with 40CFH when welding SMAW?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-19-2005 19:32
A little extra shielding couldn't hurt could it? :)
John Wright
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-19-2005 21:09
Yea if I could just figure out how to get the gas to flow through the flux.

We have some of the same issues. Many times we have customer witness of welding in progress and they want to see the WPS at the work site not in filing cabinet and they like to ask questions to see if you refer to the WPS.

Problem being we have some WPS's any where from 12 to 40 pages long. I think at one time we must have had more Technical writers than any thing else.

Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-19-2005 21:39
Have you tried boring a hole down through the center of the rod? That should do the trick.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-19-2005 20:08
I have seen WPS's that way. I did not write it but I have seen them. Those WPS have been in use for over 4 years and been viewed and approved by alot of people.

Unlike Chet's WPS's,the ones I have seen would make you think you need CO2 to weld with a 7018.

90% of the things I find wrong on WPS's or drawings are done by people who have more of an education that I do.

That tells me that a lot of people are educated way beyond their intelligence.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-19-2005 21:37
Hey! I'll have you know that my WPS's are just as screwed up as anyone else's. I used to know what I thought I did but then I didn't know anymore.

More seriously- I have written WPS's from a template and forgot to change the previous information. My TC-U4a has indicated the 2F position, the E7018 fillet required 3/4" ESO, and other foolish mistakes like that. The scary part is how many WPS's came back with an approval stamp on them. But that's all part of why I try to make it easier for myself by "Keeping it simple, Simple!"

Chet
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-19-2005 23:11
Me too Chet! I've looked back over some of my first WPSs and found all sorts of silly mistakes, and like yours, they were approved without any questions. Makes ya wonder if anybody is ever looking at them. Then again, I've had the previous QC's work to clean up when I took over this job too. He knew his stuff, but he couldn't see worth a lick, and he would have the pixels on the screen set up really huge so he could read it and he could only see a few words at a time(yes, it was that big) , so he would end up leaving in data that would be for other processes and such that should have read N/A(like 40cfh on a SMAW procedure). Computers are great tools but that silly "copy" command sure can get you in trouble at times :).
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS