Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ANY THOUGHTS or REMARKS
- - By jerrykroll (**) Date 10-20-2005 16:31
Just curious if anyone has any comments on the acceptance criteria for side bends using AWS D1.1

The code allows use of side bends as small as 3/8 inch
(4.8.3.1 - see Fig 4.13).

The acceptance criteria 4.8.3.3 does not differentiate whether you are evaluating 3/8 "wide" side bend or a 1-1/2 inch root or face bend.

1/8 inch max. allowable applies to both, and so does the 3/8 inch sum of all.

SO - it's possible to have up to 3/8 inch total size of indications on a 3/8 inch wide specimen as long as no indication exceeds 1/8 individually.

Wonder how others look at this.

PS - ASME IX is similar, but doesn't apply a max. total.
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-20-2005 18:12
Jerry,
If it looks like crap it is crap even if it does not smell like crap.In my opinion if a 3/8 wide bend specimen has more than 1 indication I will make the welder take the test agian. A welder qualification test is only practice for the real thing anyway,if I have any doubts I make the welder take a retest. I have a shop full of welders who will pass the weld test 9 out of 10 times but fail a production full pen weld. So the more practice a welder gets the better off I am in the long run.

By AWS D1.1 anytime I question a welder's ability I can say he/she is no longer certified.So I can by the book give a welder a weld test he/she passes it then goes over and welds a full pen weld on a column base plate.The full pen production weld fails UT. Then I can give the welder an immediate retest (2 weld tests this time though) for the same joint he/she passed on the weld test but failed in the production weld.All that can happen in a matter of hours. I wonder how often that is done by the book. If I did it that way I wonder who would give up first me or the welder.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-20-2005 18:34
I read it the same way you interpeted it. I think it is written pretty loosely myself, just like Table 6.1 (8) Porosity(A). I wouldn't let anything out our doors with that much porosity, even though it is acceptable by that criteria. Someone who is not at all familiar with welding or inspection would not approve of the looks of porosity that looks like that.
My 2cents,
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ANY THOUGHTS or REMARKS