Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW-S Suitcase feeder vs shop machine?
- - By BillC (**) Date 10-24-2005 00:50
I have a Miller Trailblazer 302 with CV output. I would like a GMAW machine that I can use for short-circuit transfer on automotive sheetmetal and it would be nice (but secondary) to be able to perform spray transfer. One option is to buy a suitcase feeder. The advantages are portability and the ability to change guns and rollers to do everything. The other option is to buy a shop machine. The advantage is that I can plug it into the wall at the shop or into the generator if I need portability.

The real unknown to me is the short-circuit weld quality of my Trailblazer with the feeder. Should I expect equal quality from either system? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Parent - By Brand X (*) Date 10-24-2005 14:55
If you buy the suitcase with a control cable your short circuit will be
excellent. I am mostly going by using a Lincoln 305 g with a LN -9 hooked up to it. It was like using a quality mig inverter plugged into the wall.
From what I have heard, the Trailblazer should be no different.
The short-arc with a across the arc (no control cable) was not as good
but not too bad either.

You have to remember the Trailblazer has a Three phase arc, so she
is going to be good.

Parent - By 357max (***) Date 10-25-2005 02:48
Miller has two suitcase style feeders. one that uses the arc voltage to drive the motor and one that uses the 24 volts from the fourteen pin amp receptacle from the trailblazer. I use a regular 60 series bench feeder with my trailblazer. I can use 60 pound coils of fcaw wire for grousing dozer pads and for more portable I put the 8inch spool on. Both feeders will provide excellent short circuit transfer with the CV output.
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 10-26-2005 15:47
Thanks Scott and 357max for the helpful replies. After I posted this question I searched the AskAndy board over at Miller. I found a tremendous amount of posts with similar thoughts as yours.

It seems these days that there are often compromises. I know that the suitcase and Trailblazer will be excellent for FCAW and higher current GMAW. If I can also expect to get the same excellent arc starts and quality with .023 or .030 wire that I might expect from a good shop machine like the Lincoln 175 Plus then I don't have to buy two machines.

Thanks again,
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 10-26-2005 19:13
I have had excellent results with 0.030" 70S6 with 100% CO2 gas welding 14 and 16 gauge steel sheet metal with the trailblazer. by the way, the trailblazer has an adjustable three tap stabiilizer so it should short arc stainless real good also.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW-S Suitcase feeder vs shop machine?