Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where to start..
- - By Whites_Vitality Date 10-30-2005 06:57
Im currently in the Air Force where I weld part of the time. Im pretty talented and good with metal fabricationa and good at what I know. I want to make this a career where do I start? What classes do I need? What certs do I need to make a living with this? I can stick, tig, and mig all very good. What it looks under a x-ray I dont know... How much do these classes cost? Im in Korea right now and my next duty base will be Hill AFB in Utah. I see that there is a school house in Ogden and will call them to get more info. Thanks for all the help and tips. Brandon
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-31-2005 04:07
I believe (without actually knowing) that after they decide that you really aren't going to re-up the services have programs to help transition you back to civilian. Check into it, perhaps they can help you get some sort of cert. Do the hardest position you can pass. You are unlikely to actually use this cert on a job, but it indicates an ability to a potential employer who will then almost always ask you to test again for him.
Good luck,
Bill
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-31-2005 15:42

Vitality

First off; Thanks for serving in the Air Force. My family and I honor your service.

Hill AFB is itself a Depot level aircraft overhaul facility. You will find both civillian and enlisted aerospace welders of a very high level right there on base. Even if welding is not a part of your MOS I bet it would be worth your time to hook up with the folks right there at both the Intermediate and Depot weld shops. You might find that they are willing to let you get in some off hours practice and mentoring. If you have interest in GTAW of wierd and thin metals those are the guys that have access. Since they overhaul C130, A-10 and F-16 aircraft you will meet folks with both wide body and F/A experience.

Next is Ogden Weber Technical College http://host196.ipowerweb.com/~owatccom/Level2Pages/AreasOfStudy.php
These folks have 3 different welding programs that may suit you.

Stay in touch.

Parent - By Whites_Vitality Date 02-16-2006 03:01
Thanks for the wonderful infromation!! I am back home for a month on my mid tour from Korea and I am going to be making some calls to see what I need to do and hopefully speak to someone to get me on the right track. THANKS
Parent - - By Zeke (*) Date 11-16-2005 13:46
Weber State University is very close to Hill AFB. They have just started a welding engineering technology program. Mark Baugh is one of the instructors. He can be very helpful. When he was with the Utah State program, they had 100% placement and starting salaries over 40K consistently. Last spring, I talked with him at the show in Dallas, and he feels that this program is really off to a good start.

Zeke
Parent - By Zeke (*) Date 11-17-2005 23:13
I was just reading the October Welding Journal. They have a nice write up on the Weber State program on Pages 93-94.
Parent - By Whites_Vitality Date 02-16-2006 03:01
Thanks ZEKE!!
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 11-23-2005 20:40
http://www.helmetstohardhats.org/
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-23-2005 20:58
Hey, Brandon! I was in Korea, contracted to the Air Force while over there, nice place. So, what are your plans? Good welders can make a good living on the outside; where are you in your career with the air force, sorry, more questions than answers but ya have to know where you're going before a map can be laid out!
Parent - By Whites_Vitality Date 02-16-2006 03:05
I love making just about everything. Right now most of the work that I do is repair damaged parts, heavy equipment, doors etc... I think the dream is running my own shop. But I think that would be chewing to much off and as of now just want to be able to learn and get better. I know that I am decent but getting consitantally proficiant is my main goal and getting all the certs I get on the military's dime. But I am a creative person and would like to fabricate anything that people want.
Parent - By Whites_Vitality Date 02-16-2006 03:06
Thanks for the response... looks like a great program!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where to start..