Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Guided Bend interpretation Per AWS D1.1
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-02-2005 15:26
This question may sound kinda simple but I have a little argument going and would like to hear from some inspectors with a bit more experience than I.

Ok I'm looking at coupons prepared for limited thickness qualification,GMAW, beveled 3/8 A36 with a backing strip.

Backing Strip removed, reinforcement ground. One root sample one face sample.

Before bending of both samples they were visually inspected as acceptable. However after bending the face sample, the opposit side (inside the bend radius) showed a flaw beyond limits on the fusion line of the root. The face of the bend specimine showed ok on the outside. The other sample (root bend) showed good on both sides.

Question. Was I wrong to reject the sample due to the discontinuity/defect on the inside radius of the bend specimine?

One root bend and one face bend did appear acceptable. It was the root of the face bend that had the flaw. Am I looking where I shouldn't look?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-02-2005 15:34
Yes, you were wrong to reject the weld, it is the outer face you should be evaluating. It's kind of odd that the specimen failed on the inside but you don't have a case for rejecting the weld ~ see D1.1-2004; paragraph 4.8.3.3: "the convex surface of the bend test specimen....."
Parent - By chall (***) Date 11-02-2005 15:47
Agreed.

Charles
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-02-2005 16:08

John and Charles

Thank you for the quick and sourced response. Now I know.

Its a school lab situation so I guess I'm going to have to admit I was wrong to everybody. I'll try to make it one of those "teachable moments" to reduce my shame :)
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-02-2005 16:30
Lawrence; don't worry about it. I have a brand new employee I am training and in my very first session with him I made a mistake which only helped improve my point ~ always check the source criteria. Good for you for asking anyway!

Incidentally, you may want to use your forum as a avenue to help understand what may have gone wrong in the root pass, even though not technically "rejectable" it's still a situation worthy of evaluating!
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 11-02-2005 16:50
I don't have enough time to admit the mistakes I've made....so I just act like they didn't occur. Ha!

;)

Charles
Parent - By labtechy (*) Date 11-04-2005 16:14
Ditto. I can not remember everything so I must check the specs on everything I do.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Guided Bend interpretation Per AWS D1.1