Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Code changes
- - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-04-2005 04:27
Greetings all,
Having a bit of difficulty coming to terms with AWS D1.1, hope that someone can clarify it for me.
Section 1.3.4 states that the OEM can assume some or all of the responsibilities of the Engineer.
Section 1.4.1 states the Engineer (OEM) can add to, delete from, or otherwise modify, the requirements of this code to meet the particular requirements of a specific structure.
Section 4.19.1.1 states that radiography may be used in lieu of bend tests for all joints except those welded with GMAW-S.
I am the clients rep on a major structural project and the contractor (who is also the OEM) is planning to use radiography to qualify welders using the GMAW-S process.
When I informed the contractor that this did not comply with the code I was told that the OEM has the right to change the code requirements.
What is the point of even having a welding code if it can be chopped and changed to suit.
Can anyone clarify this situation please,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-04-2005 10:34
Shane;

ASME Section IX provides exactly the same latitude to all other ASME code sections, i.e., B31.1, B31.3, Section VIII, etc., in fact, you will see a statement in the front matter of all ASME codes that says the code does not take the place of sound engineering judgment.

In my opinion, where the code states "the Engineer (OEM) can add to, delete from, or otherwise modify, the requirements of this code to meet the particular requirements of a specific structure" it is simply placing responsibility on the OEM for the actions they take.

We have to remember that the code is largely an engineering guide to "good practices" and if the engineer decides to take some exception to it then they should be able to justify their actions should an event occur which places them in a situation of litigation.

Get the deviation in writing is my advice. Best of luck!
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 11-04-2005 11:33
I agree with jon20013. If someone has the authority to deviate from the code, have that person sign off on it and keep the documentation on file. People sometimes tend to have a memory lapse when the crap hits the fan. I'm not an engineer, but I definitely would not recommend using radiography with the GMAW-S process. It might be interesting for you to ask the engineer why he has opted for this.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 11-04-2005 21:38
I would say this OEM is committing gross negligence by using radiography to examine GMAW-S welds, since this process is known to produce tight lack-of-fusion defects and radiography is known to be not reliable for detecting these defects. This is a bad engineering decision.
Parent - By jerrykroll (**) Date 11-05-2005 02:01
ditto to above

in my opinion, using RT on GMAW-S is negligent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Code changes