Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / pipe marking requirements
- - By prc Date 11-09-2005 08:12
Guys,

I need some help, I have been asked to check the material supplied to us
by a foreing supplier. I want to know what are the neccessary marking
that I need to see/check on the pipe(stamp) as per ASME II gnereal requirements. Can anybody send me a scan copy of the page that will guide me on what to look for. I have done this before, but I just want to be sure that what I am recieving is properly labeled and correct.

Thanks,
chuaquico.pierangelo@cspc.net.cn
Parent - By - Date 11-09-2005 12:23
Have a look at the material specification and the purchase documents for the material that was ordered. The material spec will require some minimum extent of marking, while there are often a number of supplementary requirements that can be invoked and specified on the purchase order.
Mankenberg
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-09-2005 12:53
You didn't say which Section II specification you were looking for either. What markings are on the pipe?
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 11-09-2005 13:15
Your QC Manual should spell out what markings are required to be maintained on material. As far as from the supplier, I would think that the main thing to look for is the material type/grade, and heat number. The p.o. should match material type and size, and the heat number will be traceable to the MTR, where you will find again material type/grade, also chemical composition, and mechanical properties, when required. Again, depends on you manual, but a common recieving inspection practice is to have all paperwork (b.o.m., p.o., m.t.r.) on hand and physically verify all markings/requirements match each other. Hope I explained that o.k.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-09-2005 14:07
well said tito. To the material type, grade and heat number, I'm going to say size and wall thickness should also be stamped or otherwise identified. Probably more info too but we'll wait until the person posing the question tells us which spec he's looking for.
Parent - - By prc Date 11-10-2005 00:00
Thank you very much guys for you prompt reply. Actually I was with the
Senior Inspector of Shell & CNOOC known as CSPC here in China.
I am a Piping Design Engineer, and they only have the chinese version
of the ASME II and since I can't read and understand chinese, so he read it all the requirement that need to be stamped on the pipe.
That doc that he made a copy is from ASME II, but I forgot to ask
which section he got that. That section from ASME II shows what info
needs to be stamped on the pipe by the manufacturer.

I have here the actual marking stamped on the pipes that we have
checked.

"A/SA 333 GRADE 6 5L-0033 08/05 X 52/HN PSL1 6.625" X 0.280" SCH40 HOT FINISHED SEAMLESS -50F 10.48M 454358"

I can name most of them like the OD, wall T, standard used like A333 by ASTM, the heat number and so on.

I have a few things tha I can't understand, like the "08/05 X 52/HN PSL1"
what does this mean? This is a low temp CS pipe DN150.

"5L-0033" is this as per NACE standard?

I know that some info are not that so important to looked at, like KIPMANK said. I know you have addressed it clearly on the replies above.

Thank again guys and I hope you could enlighten me more on these...
I appreciate very much your help...
Parent - By chall (***) Date 11-10-2005 13:33
The X52 is the grade of material within API 5L (Piping material specification). X52 has a yield strength of 52ksi. The PSL1 refers to supplemental requirements related to notch toughness.

That's all nice info, but your concern is with the references to the ASME specs. The other marking simply indicate the material also meets the requirements of the listed specifications & grade.

If you have any specific questions about the other markings, send me an email.

Charles.
Parent - - By prc Date 11-10-2005 00:10
One more thing...our Inspector says that he read from ASME II that when ever the pipe have been rejected, the word "ASTM" is being removed from the marking stamped on the pipes.

I don't see any word "ASTM" on the pipes that I have inspected. Please help me confirm this, because is a 2000+ meters of pipe...

Thanks again..
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 11-10-2005 12:53
Cant quite help you on the markinks you dont understand. I have a feeling of what they are, but not possitive and dont want to confuse you.

I personally have never heard of removing ASTM if pipe is rejected. By the way, you may not ALWAYS see "ASTM", the "A" before the material type designates that it is an ASTM material. ASTM materials will have an "A" before them such as A36, A106, A333...etc. ASME has adopted most of these specs and basically calls the material the same #, just adds an "S" in front of the "A". ex. SA36, SA106, SA333.
Parent - - By prc Date 11-10-2005 23:51
Thank very much Guys, you are all such a great help. Our Senior Inspector missed understood the clause on their ASME chinese version. The marking on the pipes now are clear to me now...(thanks for your help..) and have done some reading in our QC Manual as suggested..everything is clear now..and thank you Charles for your e-mail add...

Thanks Guys...till nest time...Pierangelo
Parent - By - Date 11-11-2005 02:30
piacere nostro
Mankenberg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / pipe marking requirements