Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Novice welder here in need of some HELP!
- - By Fairfield_Slim Date 11-15-2005 16:48
Here is what I want to do:

I want to weld a regular run-of-the-mill C-clamp (im pretty sure they are made from a cast iron alloy) to a piece of milled steel about 2-1/2" wide and around 1/4" thick. Just to make sure we are on the same page as far as C-clamps, this is what I am talking about: http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100025&source=GoogleQG

Here is what I have:

Lincoln AC 225 - more info on it: http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p000013.htm

Here is what I need help with:

I do not know what type & size of electrode I should use, and I am not sure what I should set the welder to for this project.

Any assistance would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

- Slim
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 11-15-2005 16:55
Before I will consider answering this question I have a question. "Why would you want to do it to start with?"
Parent - By Fairfield_Slim Date 11-15-2005 17:06
I am making my own guitar stand for an electric and acoustic and the steel is used for the saddle to hold the guitars and the clamps are to hold the guitars in place so they dont fall.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-15-2005 17:25
I would try some 3/32" or 1/8" 6013 for your project. The clamps should weld decently and the "buzz box" you have will run 6013 with no problems, and give a smooth looking weld.
I would remove the paint from the welding zones before welding. Allow the clamps to cool slowly, don't dunk them in water.

7018 electrodes would also work well but you will probably have some difficulties running them with your Lincoln machine.

I would not weld the clamps if you have a critical application for them, like anchors for bungee jumping or anything else that would put life or property in jeopardy if the welds fail. But the application you have described should be no problem.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Fairfield_Slim Date 11-15-2005 17:27
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I really appreciate that... if anyone else has anything to add, please do so! On to the store...
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 11-15-2005 18:30
That is why I was wanting to know what for. We do it alot in the shop I work in but it is not the safest thing . Sometimes you do what you have to do when you are working with rolled angle and beams,but you still better be waiting on it to break. We have never had anyone get hurt doing it so I guess they all know it is going to break sooner or later.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 11-17-2005 17:41
Not likely that the C-clamp is Cast Iron. Cast Iron would fail suddenly & completly versus Cast Steel yielding with out breaking. Most Cast Steels are easly welded.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Novice welder here in need of some HELP!