Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SS gas choice
- - By tupper (*) Date 11-18-2005 01:51
i plan on getting a 40cf tank of pure argon for al welding, but can i also use it for ss welding too so i dont have to get a tri-mix?
Parent - - By West O. Artist Date 11-18-2005 02:32
i'd like to add something similar to tupper's question.

i have a millermatic175 that i use for mild steel, with C25 as my shielding gas. what's going to happen when welding on 304ss with er308 wire and this gas?

it's not anything structural, just small sculptures/explorations, so strength is not a real issue (at least not for now, playing small). but aesthetics are.

-james
Parent - By cas (*) Date 11-22-2005 05:46
Al is beyond my scope of stuff, but as for SS;
James, you should ceck out the Ar/O2, Ar/CO2 mixes 95 Ar and above. With C25, 75/25, whatever, you will probably find a fat (not PHAT), bead. Bulbus is more discriptive; fot the height or protusion, it is not as wide, which to me means it's got more metal than it needs but not enough "wetting of the edges" (those that know correct, me if I'm wrong). Whether this is not enough volts/amps, or too fast a wire speed/ slow travel speed, I cannot be the judge. but these are the directions you should look. Higher Ar gas content will help with these aspects. Which is the right mix for you is hard to determine, but just for s%!t's&GRins try 95/5 ar/co2, or 98/2 ar/02, if its not structural and your just trying to get a "hot" bead what does it cost other than the gas(which aint cheap compaired to c25). the cost, i don't think, will be that much more than normal but, "est mas". Try this on some scrap first to get a feel. but I think you'll like it better than c25. Some playing with the knobs(volts ipm/wire) will be required to dial it in.
Your results and opinions would be just more info out here for all of us.
Good Q.:)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-18-2005 04:29

Pure argon is not a good choice for GMAW stainless.

98 Argon 2 Oxygen is the recommended gas.

There are however, Stainless FCAW wires that will run on 75/25 or straight CO2.... The mechanicals are just as good as GMAW with spray transfer with the added benefit of all position capabilities. When you remove the slag (it is easy slag) you will have less surface polish work than with GMAW also.

Here is a data sheet for one choice in stainless FCAW
http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/ChromaWeld308LT1.pdf

Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-18-2005 05:23
One small word of caution on SS FCAW wire, you better have a thick wallet or access to some wire that no longer conforms to code work that someone is willing to part with, otherwise I totally agree on the choice of FCAW SS as Lawrence stated, it runs awesome. aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SS gas choice