Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question For All You TIG Hands
- - By cmays (***) Date 11-19-2005 03:14
Ive been contract welding all through college and most of what I ve learned was through research of methods and simply trial and error on my part. I am getting into more and more technical processes with my jobs and I am now trying to get proficient with my tig ability. I was wondering do I need high frequency arc start if I am using touch start method? I havent tried it but I was just thinking about it as I was reading one of my JFL handbooks. Ive been practicing on mild steel usually 1/8 inch thickness plates. Just to be 100 % sure, what is the set up I will need for mild steel practice of the touch start method? I welcome any input on this. In my studies I have covered basically all of the processes and become proficient enough to produce quality welds that you would expect from a contract welder. I left Tig for last because I felt that It required the greatest ability from a welder. Thanks to all who respond.
PS. Im running all my proccesses off of my trailblazer if that helps.
Parent - By pipehead (***) Date 11-19-2005 03:24
I believe it is a matter of preference Some guy like to have HF start if you are running a machine that allows it. Although the new machines with lift arc you do not need HF start. The only place HF is required any more is to run AC GTAW on Aluminium. Hope this Helps
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-19-2005 03:30

Good question.

Some of the most skilled TIG welders I have ever met never used high freq or lift ark. They did those code welds on pipe with scratch start and controlled the puddle size with travel speed and torch angle. They did it with better results than I could with a foot pedal and high freq.

Anyhow. Your parameters with a lift arc unit would be the same as with a scratch start. The lift arc just makes a little power adjustment after the arc strike to bring up the power and reduce the amount of tungsten left on your work.

The only difference in amperage preset might be if you had a remote control amperage adjustment like a foot pedal or thumb control. If you have one of those it is a good rule of thumb to preset the amps just a touch above the maximum amps you think you will need but to start your arc at the lower end of the range.

For 1/8 inch touch start with mild steel I would set your amps at 125 max and prep a pointed electrode with a little flat at the end just like with a scratch start. When you practice the lift arc for a while you will get a feel for it and make your points increasingly sharp without leaving any contamination on the work.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 11-19-2005 03:38
So I shouldnt have any problem using lift arc method off of my trailblazer? Its the 98 251 model and doesnt have that new fancy lift arc mode like the new ones. I just wasnt sure wether I could do it with out my HF unit.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 11-19-2005 04:10
Yes you should be able to I run mainly Lincoln classics and I can off my older units just as easy as the newer ones.I am not real familiar with the trailblazer but you should not have any problems
Parent - - By metallord (*) Date 11-19-2005 05:45
if you are running a trailblazer with no h.f. then you are not using lift arc you are scratch starting.the only way you can be using the lift arc mode is if you have a lift arc setting on your machine.the miller syncrowave line has a lift arc setting but when you use that setting the h.f. is still on.instead of holding your tungsten off of the material and then using the pedal to start your arc,you touch the material with the tungsten then step on the pedal then lift your tunsten off and let the arc start.this method is often used on s.s. to avoid the stray arcing that sometimes comes with that material.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 11-19-2005 06:21
I will still run the risk of tungsten contamination with scratch start though correct? Is there anyway to combat this besides using my HF unit?
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 11-19-2005 09:28
Quality welds are certainly possible wthout a high-frequency start and as someone already stated, if your machine has no setting for "lift-arc" then you are not using it.
I have been a contract, single-hand, pipe welder for most of my 20+ welding career. While I prefer a high-frequency start option....I do not always get to have it.
One way to use a scratch start method and keeping the tungsten from contamination is to hold the torch (the tungsten) about a 1/16" from the work and use your filler wire to initiate the arc. It takes some practice and coordination, but you get the torch ready and "flick" the filler wire across the work and tungsten to start the arc. This keeps tungsten out of the weld, atleast when you are starting the arc.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question For All You TIG Hands