Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Got done with NDT Asso. Degree Now CWI..
- - By Cole_lol Date 11-20-2005 04:43
Hello, I am just finishing up with a Degree in NDT and QC. And posted my resume online. I am getting alot of questions if I an CWI Cert. I know that I am not and looking to see about becomeing CWI Cert. My question is what does it take to become CWI Cert.? Do I have to work in the field for a little bit or is it as simple as takeing a prep class (or even a credit class) and takeing the test? What are the actuall requirements and is it even worth while for me to get CWI Cert or preped for it to include with my NDT Degree?
Thanks
Cole

*** Edit ***
I am one that has done very minimal welding... If thats any additional help
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 11-21-2005 12:49
Look on the main page of the AWS site under certifications. Do some research for the CWI to find out all of the requirements. Basically you need experience and $$$. Also there are numerous postings in the forum dealing with this subject that will help you out.

What school did you graduate from?
Parent - - By Cole_lol Date 11-21-2005 13:32
I went to Spartan College Of Aeronautics.
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 11-21-2005 14:57
I had a feeling you did. I graduated from there in 2000. Actually was in the area about 4 months ago a went to visit but as my luck has it, it was during a school break. No one was there except for Sally. How did you like it there? If I can give any good advise it's this, wherever you go to work, don't act like the hot shot punk kid that just graduated from college and knows more than everyone else. Learn all you can from those more experienced around you, even if they don't perform inspections the "text book" way. One day when your on your own, you will have plenty of opportunities to perform them the way you where taught, and with more knowledge than when you first started. Believe me, there's alot more to learn out there, and it wouldn't hurt to get some more welding experience either. I, like you, had and still have little welding experience and thinking about enrolling in a welding program. I can perform my job well, but everybody can use a little more training and experience.

As for the CWI, if you obtained your Associates degree, that counts as two years toward the 5 years experience required.
Parent - - By Cole_lol Date 11-22-2005 01:45
Ya. I am actually doing this for my girlfriend because she thought that one of the classes with sally thru the asne (or something like that) and i was wondering too because she was offered a job in oregon but needed a cwi to be hired. So what are your suggestions for some jobs. She is going to work at tulsa gama ray for a few months to get some exp and maybe a level is that a good idea? look forwared to hearing from you agian
Parent - By tito (**) Date 11-22-2005 13:18
I worked for Tulsa Gamma Ray for about a year while I was enrolled at Spartan. Tell her to say hello to Dan Potter for me. After leaving Tulsa Gamma Ray, I had a two year degree and level II certs for MT, PT, UTT, and some field experience in all of those methods along with RT assistant. Although they dont pay as much as one would like, it is a good base platform to start your career at. As far as suggestions for jobs, I didn't really go through the career center at Spartan. I was kinda hooked up with a job back in my hometown in the QC department with a piping contractor. Since then I have stayed in the QC side of it, not so much NDT. I would suggest getting plenty of NDT and welding experience before expecting to land that "dream job". As for the CWI, assuming that the schooling is pretty much her only experience for the welding and NDT requirements, she still has about three more years to go before even considering getting her CWI. Also, don't expect to get rich in this line of work, unless your willing to travel...alot. Don't get me wrong, you can make a decent living, as I have, but it takes time and experience. You're probably young, so you have plenty of time search employers and find the right one. Right out of Spartan, my first job paid $15.50/hr (no benefits though), and now five years later with a different co., I'm at $20/hr (excellent benefits). FYI, I dont have my CWI and haven't needed one yet.

Take Care
Travis
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Got done with NDT Asso. Degree Now CWI..