Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW galvanized?
- - By leon phelps (**) Date 11-21-2005 14:38
Is it possible to mig weld galvanized steel?

I have an old trailer that is in bad shape. It is a toss up whether to fix it or buy another one.

Thanks for any input.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 11-21-2005 15:04
Yes, you can GMAW galvanized steel. I recommend grinding away the area to be welded first. If you choose not to, the welding procedures are similar to those for bare carbon steel. Travel speed should be slower on galvanized steel to allow the zinc coating to volatize ahead of the weld pool. The required reduction in speed depends on the thickness of the galvanized coating, the joint design, and the welding position. Root openings must be greater than those for bare steel to obtain good joint penetration and to provide a path for vaporized zinc to escape. Slight weaving of the arc is required to control excessive melt thru with groove welds.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-21-2005 15:27
With GMAW especially, remove as much of the galvanized coating as possible(it's not as forgiving as SMAW in regards to porosity when welding over galvanizing).
If you run ahead of the puddle occasionally with a forward/backward whip like Scott suggested, any glavanized that you weren't able to grind off should boil off ahead of the puddle.
John Wright
Parent - - By leon phelps (**) Date 11-21-2005 16:37
Call me a retart. I get shielded metal and gas metal all mixed up. I meant GMAW. Since I am out of practice, I usually have best results when using GMAW.

I will be cutting the galvanized with a plasma cutter, then welding square steel tubing to it. Most of the welds will be pipe to square tubing. The plasma cutter should give me the best result. I plan to make a template and then vice grip it to the pipe where I need to cut it.

I guess I will need to go to a local ship to find spools of the correct wire. I would guess the metal would be about 3/16 think. Should I use .035 wire to weld with? I have regular .045, but think that would probably blow through even with the voltage turned down.

Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 11-21-2005 17:37
I wouldn't buy .035 if you have .045. I don't know what type of shielding gas you are using, but typical parameters for welding 3/16 steel using 98/2 is a current range of around 180-190, around 24-25 volts, with a wire feed speed of around 185-195.
Parent - By trevwelder Date 11-30-2005 01:22
I like to use a flux cored wire on galvanized steel. The price is abought twice as high. It has saved me a lot of time.
Parent - By Kalroy Date 12-01-2005 23:35
Don't forget plenty of ventilation if you're going to weld (and it welds fine, but dirty) straight on the galvanized. The stuff is nasty and metal flu sucks.

Kalroy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW galvanized?