Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln LN-25 to MIG Aluminum
- - By 56780 (*) Date 11-21-2005 17:49
Does anyone out there know how the Lincoln LN-25 suitcase wire feeders do with aluminum?
I am considering buying the parts for the conversion but want some input before I spend the money.
My power source is a Miller Trailblazer 301 G. It is a CC/CV power source.
If it does a good job with aluminum, I also need advise on wire size. I understand that a larger and stiffer wire will not tend to bird nest. I want flexibility with the a range of material thicknesses so I would rather go with the smallest practical wire and run a few more passes than have too large a wire for thinner material.
I an not doing production work. Just small jobs.
I know a lot of you will say to use a spoolgun but just can't justify the price for the amount of alumnium I would be welding.
Please only reply if you have actual experience with this set-up.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 11-22-2005 03:28
Ive used mine on aluminum many times, use 3/64 wire and 300 or 400 amp 10ft gun and try to always keep the cable as straight as possible.
Parent - By G Mulee (*) Date 11-22-2005 12:28
Are you running spray mode?
Parent - - By 56780 (*) Date 11-22-2005 16:14
SA-200

Did you just change the drive rolls for aluminum or do I need the whole clutched drive roll kit?
How about tips?
I'm using a Tweco #4 gun.
I know I'll need a nylon gun liner. What other advise can you give?
What type of wire are you running, 4043 or 5356?
Do you think the LN-25 makes nice welds on aluminum?
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 11-22-2005 22:55
You need to go buy drive roll kit KP654-3/64A. I used tweco heavy duty 3/64 tips. Both alloy wires work so its your choice. I used my Lincoln SA-200 as a power supply for the LN25. It seems to me that constant current from my Lincoln worked better than constant voltage from my trailblazer with alum wire. I welded 4 inch alum pipe that was used as buss at electric substation and it welded great, nice welds. Just dont let the wind take away your argon gas.
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 11-22-2005 23:23
Lots of 'expert' advice out there on aluminum, most of it is just what someone read in some weld product catalog.
I use 1.2mm 5356 in my ln 25 interchangeably with steel wire.
If I did a lot of al., maybe I'd buy one of those teflon or nylon liners,but I have no problems with feeding .
As others said keep the gun straight as possible, use the minimum tension needed on the drive rolls, and things should be ok.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln LN-25 to MIG Aluminum