Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Specs for Pass/Fail Weld Penetration?
- - By ksu92me Date 11-23-2005 14:36
Are there any AWS or industry specifications for determining adequate penetration/fusion? We have a circular steel tube into which is placed a solid plug. Both parts are chamfered to create an external, circumferental, symmetrical weld joint when assembled. The plug has a pilot shoulder that fits inside the tube. When welded (subarc), there will always be part of the plug shoulder that is not fused to the tube by the weld. We have sectioned and etched several joints and we have complete fusion within the initial geometry of the weld joint, but how far beyond this area is fusion required as either a distance or an increase of area of the weld joint area?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-23-2005 15:49
Is there a governing code for the work? I think you may have to go to the EOR to get an official answer, he/she is responsible for the welding symbol and if the joint is a CJP then you have no choice but to assure that it is CJP, but if the joint is PJP then you need to section and etch to verify that you are indeed getting the penetration required to satisfy the weld symbol requirements. Adjust your joint prep (chamfer depth) accordingly to satisfy the penetration required.
my two cents,
John Wright
Parent - By ksu92me Date 11-23-2005 16:59
There really isn't a specified governing code. There is even debate here if this type of joint can ever be CJP if part of the plug shoulder will never be fused. The weld joint is per the customer's details and they have sectioned some of our work as well and have complained about lack of penetration. To our great annoyance so far they will not send us a sample of a 'good' sectioned weld of their own manufacture.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Specs for Pass/Fail Weld Penetration?