Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Underwater Welding Consumables
- - By - Date 12-03-2000 03:36
I'm looking for information about an underwater welding electrode that can be used to in repairing Notch toughened plate with impact properties of 27Joules @ -40°C. Preferably, the electrode is certified by AWS. The application is structural and from what I can understand from AWS D3.6-93 this repair would be considered a class A weld. Does anyone have any suggestions? -Sean
Parent - By YumpTTC (*) Date 12-03-2000 15:18
Sorry Sean, I dont know much at all about underwater welding. However, I plan on becoming scuba certified in the next year or two and eventually, my goal is to become an underwater welder. I would like to discuss this further through email. Please email me at yumpinyiminy69@home.com
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-10-2000 06:07
Colorado School of Mines was doing an extensive research project on electrodes a few years ago for offshore work. Try going to their website and look for a contact in their metallurgy department. I don't recall the name of the project lead at the moment, but you should be able to find something about the project on their website.

You might also consider an austenitic electrode, such as E309-16, with a varnish coating. Austenitic alloys absorb hydrogen much better than mild steels and this should help prevent underbead cracking by tying up the hydrogen in the weld metal.

Marty Sims
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-10-2000 06:22
Here's someone to contact who may be able to direct you to a source for your electrodes:

http://www.mines.edu/~sliu/

Hope this helps,
Marty Sims
Parent - By - Date 12-11-2000 04:14
How deep are you planning on welding? You might want to try and look at Broco Wet welding rods, I know that the have mild steel and stainless commerical underwater welding rods. I'm a Diver/Welder and I've used rods that have been dipped in bee's wax and in varnish, if you don't use them in 30 minutes after they've been in the water, they really don't work all the well. There's also Sureweld. But I think that your best bet will be with Broco. Good luck.
Chuck
Parent - - By ernest Date 12-12-2000 20:34
The welding rods you are looking for to meet AWS D3.6 specs for underwater welding, are made by Arcair ( Thermadyne ) , They are called Seaweld Welding Electodes and come in 1/8" - 5/32" & 3/16" and are 14" long. Contact any Arcair dealer for more info.
Parent - By G Ice Date 12-16-2000 05:08
Sean,
I don't know a lot about underwater welding, my specialty is underwater NDT,but if you want to talk to someone who does, call the College of Oceaneering in Wilmington CA. and ask for Duke. He is probably the best in the industry. I don't know the number,you could get it off the internet. If it could be done, he would know how to do it. Good luck.
jerry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Underwater Welding Consumables