Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Question for a CWI
- - By pipehead (***) Date 11-24-2005 02:26
I am a pipeline welder and am taking a job where the Certs are not something I am familiar with. I have API and ASME certs but this job is calling for AWS B1.1 testing code and B2.1 weld code? The project is large diameter pipe with a single bevel horizontal seam and a lap weld at the joint. (they are split cans for a reline project.) I know the test is also going to be single bevel. I just need to know the testing procedure and test set up. Gap, positions, open root, etc...

We are running dual shield wire .045, CO2 if that helps
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 11-28-2005 13:47
AWS B2.1 is the "Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification"

AWS B1.1 is probably a typo and is likely D1.1

You will have to qualify all welding procedures for any joint welded without backing, from one side only.

The typical welder certification joint is a single bevel 60 deg. included angle, 1/8" (max.) root opening, 1/8" (max) tall land. See figure 4.24 in AWS D1.1.
If you already have ASME procedures and welder certs the Engineer has the option to approve those for use without re-qualification. (See AWS D1.1: sections 4.1.1.2, & 4.1.2.1)
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 11-29-2005 02:09
Thanks
I do have current procedures and Certs for ASME although I don't have any that are FCAW.

So I will have to run vert.,overhd,horiz., because there is no 6g on a plate test Correct? And these tests will be coupon bend tests? Sorry not real familiar with AWS.

Also where can I get a copy of the D1.1 codes?

Again Thanks For the help
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-29-2005 11:57
According to D1.1, Table 4.9 to be qualified in ALL (groove) positions on plate, you'll need to take a 3G(vert) and a 4G(overhead) position test(s).

According to Table 4.10 (1) Thickness qualified depends on thickness tested(ie. thickness up to 1" tested = qualified in thicknesses 1/8" through 2 times thickness tested; 1" tested and up = qualified for unlimited thicknesses).
(ie tested on 3/8" plate = qualified on thickness 1/8" - 3/4".)

For a copy of D1.1 you can order online here....

http://global.ihs.com/industry_stds.cfm?currency_code=USD&customer_id=21254C2B4E0A&shopping_cart_id=2825585B2D4B2048415B5D30240A&rid=AWS&lang_code=ENGL&org_group=AWSD

John Wright
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 11-29-2005 15:09
I have a question: Is the horizontal seam weld you described a full penetration, welded from one side, without backing (open root) configuration? Is it over 24" dia?
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 11-30-2005 02:33
Bill yes it is full penetration it is welded from one side and is OR the pipe dia is 93" hope this helps
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 11-30-2005 13:32
AWS D1.1 considers the full penetration butt joint, welded one side only without backing as not prequalified. You have to qualify the procedure.

Just so I understand, ..your welding an open root pass, with .045" dia. @E71-T1, without any backing plate? In what position? Is there UT or RT required?

If you qualify the procedure on plate (again welded from one side only with the open root) - This will also qualify you for pipe 24" dia. and over. The procedure coupon then require the necessary tensile and bend tests. Position is an essential variable in procedure qualification. see table 4.1. To minimize procedure coupon work, ...do you need all position procedures, or is the jobsite work just horizontal for example? If you need all position procedures, you may want to look at welding a procedure qualification coupon out of pipe instead of plate, in the 6G position.

The welder performance testing will have to also include an open root coupon, see fig. 4.24 in AWS D1.1, in the positions required for the site welding also.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 12-01-2005 02:08
Thanks Bill

Yes it is open root with .045 E71-t1 without backing we have to qualify all position because the seam is horiz and the joint is vertical uphill. The root is RT and after hot pass and Cap will be UT.

Thanks
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 12-01-2005 14:23
Not a typical AWS D1.1 application but-

The horiz. seam will require procedure qualification. The end lap joints sound to me to be basically a fillet weld. If that is correct, either they are already prequalified procedures (if welded on pre-qualified base metal), or if not, require qualification. Check on the base material for pre-qualified status table 3.1. What is the base metal spec?

Assuming prequalified fillet welding
To minimally comply-
Make one procedure coupon- a 2G (horiz) procedure on plate with the open root. Qualifies for pipe over 24" only.
Welder test: Test the welder for 2G plate open root, (for the horiz. seam). Also have them weld a vertical and overhead fillet weld test. That will result in an all position fillet weld qualification for the lap joint. (3F & 4F)
Parent - By pipehead (***) Date 12-04-2005 04:29
I am not real sure on that all I really Know is that 5/8" I'm pretty sure it is just a standard carbon steel. I am almost positive the base metal is pre qualified because it is coming from a manufactuer of spiral welded pipe (northwest pipe).

Well thanks for the help I understand a little more about AWS now. so hopefully it goes well we leave friday to head out there
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Question for a CWI