Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / auto-dark lens
- - By lake (*) Date 11-25-2005 18:50
Any thoughts on what might be the best auto dark lense to add to my present fiberglass hood?
I'm using a hood with a 2x4 lense opening. I've heard that Arc One makes a good one that is solar powered and provides excellent visibility. I prefer to keep my present hood because of the abuse it has to take with pipeline work. I tried a Xelux brand of lens one time but visibility wasn't nearly as clear as with a standard filter plate. That was several years ago and things may have improved. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-25-2005 19:00
I use an arc one fixed #9 part of the time. There still is no auto lens that in my opinion has as clear and clean of a view as a regular green lens. I've also tried a battery powered jackson lens but prefer the arc one. The arc one will fit in a regular pancake.

JTMcC.

Parent - - By metalfab (*) Date 11-26-2005 06:03
I'd have to disagree about the clarity issue. I have a Miller BWE and have no problems with vision, I'd never go back to a solid lens again.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-27-2005 20:59
I've used several nice auto lenses and in most cases they are just fine.
I don't believe there is a liquid crystal welding lens made that can compare with a clear view of a high quality (like the "Supervisibility") regular lens.
Yours may do everything you ask of it but a lot of people don't weld in the conditions that can make visibility very difficult. In those cases I believe (and a lot of welders I know as well) you can't beat a good regular lens.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 11-29-2005 01:56
I run a EQC battery operated in a pancake. but like most of these guys said you can't beat the regular lens. especially in tight areas plus it is alot lighter on your neck when your laying in a bell hole
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-29-2005 04:53
Sarges makes their pancakes in 3 different depts these days to fit whatever combination of lenses/battery powered lenses/cheaters you might be using. I have a small and a medium in my truck. I could fit a clear lens/batt powered Jackson auto/cheater in the medium but it's a close fit. I have a arc one in it now and there is plenty of room. Nothing is lighter than a regular size pancake with a regular lens tho.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 11-30-2005 02:44
I had to order my pancake cut out deeper so that my eqc would fit but that has been a few years ago. I also ran a gold lens for awhile but i got a strange reflected glare off it. So stay clear of those.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-08-2005 05:02
i get that glare sometimes with my gold lens and its a glass lens not plastic anyideas what might cause it i have tried numerous clear lens replacements and the glare is always in the same spot
Parent - By pipehead (***) Date 12-08-2005 15:35
The gold lens have a raised ridge around the out side to keep the cover lens from sitting down on the gold covering and scratching it there for when you weld the reflection you are seeing is the light reflecting back on to the cover lens from the gold lens.

You will have this problem with with any cover lens as long as the shaded lens is sitting tight against each other
Parent - By metalfab (*) Date 10-05-2006 22:19 Edited 10-07-2006 02:33
Been months but, I stand corrected JTMcC. I left my BWE at a friends by accident. I have my Jackson 4x5 hanging in the home garage, haven't touched it in almost 2 years. Cleaned it up, threw in a #11 and went to work. Had to get use to the fact of lifting up the helmet again ;) The puddle was clearer, no doubt, especially after using the BWE for so long and then going to a solid lense. I might just use the BWE for 2" or less welds and tacks then use the Jackson 4x5 for all the big stuff :)
Parent - - By Dr. D (*) Date 12-28-2005 08:44
In my opinion a hood is a consumable. It will melt, get burned, take abuse etc. A huntsman(my personal choice) cost $20 to $30 bucks. So I just replace it when needed.
I say this because in the world of auto-dark lenses, you get what you pay for. And in order to get a great auto lens you will most likely need to get a 4"x5" view area hood.
I have tried a few auto lenses in the $200 range such as Miller, Hobart, Xulux. Everyone eventually developed glitches, wouldn't charge anymore(solar) and eventually stopped working. I decided to try one last time and buy a more expensive unit, the Jackson NexGen. It has not glitched, or cut out, or failed me once. I really like it because it has no knobs sticking out to get bumped or damaged. The batteries lasted me 6 months with a lot of welding. It also has 4 sensors instead of 2 which is nice if part of your view gets cut off like in a tight place it won't switch to the light state. You can find them new on e-bay for about $280 with a helmet I believe.
Another lense I heard was good but have not tried is the Huntsman 1105VXL 4X4 it also has 4 sensors. They are probably both equal in performance, I just like the touch pad and digital readout on the NexGen.
Good Luck
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-06-2006 16:59
I also run a nexgen, and love it. I do, however prefer my pancake when welding outdoors. That 4x5 sure reflects a lot of sunlight if you're in the right position.
Parent - By shadowelds (*) Date 12-29-2005 19:41
I have the new miller eleite series and I love it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / auto-dark lens