Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS versus CWB
- - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 11-30-2005 17:33
We are looking at doing a job in Canada. I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure our AWS and AISC Certifications are acceptable to the Canadian Welding Bureau. Am I right? If so, where can I find this in writing?
Thanks,
Michael
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 11-30-2005 18:40
Be very careful about this.

We have a project ongong in Toronto. Procedure qualification under the CWB must be monitored by a representative of the CWB.

Even if you find that "AWS" procedures and welder performance records are acceptable to CWB, there may be other factors that influence the overall acceptability of your program.

One example that comes to my mind is this: The shop inspector (from a Canadian NDE firm) believed that in order to use procedures qualifed in accordance with AWS standards, the shop would have to be a certified AWS facility, or the procedures would have to be certified by AWS (no prequalified procedures allowed on this project).

Since our role in the project is prime contractor to the Canadian shop, the issue did not really apply. However, it did cause me to re-evaluate assumptions that I had previously made (like AWS is acceptable to CWB).

Hope I'm not confusing the issue.
Charles
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-30-2005 21:20
I agree completely. I was going to suggest earlier to contact the CWB instead of posting on AWS board; they do have very specific rules in Canada and they are different than the US....
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 12-01-2005 18:08
The first thing you need to do is determine if CWB certification is required for this particular job.

Brian
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS versus CWB