Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Fixturing
- - By nitnoid Date 12-01-2005 05:19
Hi. I have never brazed before and I need help. I need to braze a 2"x2"x48" sq steel tube to a 1.5"x1.5"x24" steel tube. Both tubes are 14 ga. The tubes will be 90 deg. to each other, with the smaller tube butted to the larger tube. I understand the importance of minimizing the space between parts to ensure proper solder flow. My problem is a can't imagine how to fixture the parts without compromising heat flow and allowing the torch access to the entire tube.
Parent - By SWP (**) Date 12-05-2005 19:25
Here is an idea, don't know if it will work for your application.
What if you tack welded the assembly in a few key locations, then brazed the joint?
I used this technique to braze an intricate assembly of 1/8" steel wires that could not be easily fixtured.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-06-2005 07:21
Assuming a true 90 degree cut on the end of the smaller tube you could drill a hole through the larger tube, put a piece of threaded rod through the hole, the smaller tube and a washer and use the rod to clamp everything together. Tack each face, release the pressure on the rod and proceed. Of course you now have a hole you may have to repair.
Bill
Parent - - By captaintom62 (*) Date 12-09-2005 19:42
Magnets??
Parent - By nitnoid Date 12-09-2005 20:17
I want to thank all of you for your input. After discussing this with my welder son, we have decided to TIG weld the joints. My son is an excellent TIG welder, so we should be able to make the joints as inconspicuous as possible, with very little grinding necessary. This is very important because we are manufacturing furniture. The finished product will be powder coated.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Fixturing