Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advice for a new guy...
- - By Michael1227 Date 12-04-2005 02:12
Please forgive me if I put this in the wrong forum, and please forgive the length…. I graduated from Tulsa Welding School this past July at the top of my class. I’m at a crossroads and wish to have some of the vets out there, as well as, new guys offer their advice. I want to break into the welding field something awful! I would prefer to do field work mainly power plant or refinery kind of work. The problem is I don’t believe the school really prepared me for the workforce. Yes, I think I can weld fairly well, however, we all know real world experience is worth a lot more than lab experience. I’m 29, and have an IT job which is barely paying the bills in today’s day and age. I’ve always liked welding and have been around it ALL my life. I learned how to weld in Ag mechanics in high school, and held a welding job briefly when I got out of high school, before getting laid off. That’s when I got my current job. Anyway, I’m concerned that if I make the jump to try to go ahead and take one of the jobs TWS is lining me up for me. I could end up over my head and lose the job and not be able to pay the bills. I would really prefer to start at a more entry level position, but I’m sure the pay would reflect that. Anyway, without writing a novel, I would just like to here some of the folks out there tell what their first days on the job were like and how I can get over these jitters. I’ve almost got my replacement trained so I’m getting anxious to get out in the field. I’m pretty proficient in combo and tig welding. The thing that really kicks my arse is a 6010 root. And being that I’d like to do pipe work, I know that is a process that’s extremely important. Anyway, again sorry for the length, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Michael
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 12-04-2005 05:48
[deleted]
Parent - By Michael1227 Date 12-04-2005 06:05
Thanks for the reply...I did get a good foundation at TWS...I guess switching professions at 29 is a little scary for me, but I gotta do it. TWS does allow 3 brush up days a month, and I have used them since graduating. It's sucked waiting so long to get the new guy trained so I can move on, but I guess patience is a virtue. I'm really not that bad at 6010, I guess I'm just pretty hard on myself. Hopefully someday I can be a source of information for a young cat just starting out.........
Parent - - By weldo (*) Date 12-04-2005 05:58
Hello Michael, I'm fairly new to this forum myself, but not to the trade. A little background on myself, I broke into the trade over 20 years ago, with my father being my inspiration,( although his advise was to go to college and develop my skills in something other than welding) I never went to a welding school or trade school, just the school of hard Knocks, believe me when I tell you, that it can be a rough road, started out in a production shop, then more into fabrication shops, mostly structural, then high pressure pipe, Stainless, cast,etc...
As far as the pay goes, it is really depending on you and how much of an asset you are to the company you go to work for, and of course the type of welding you go with, e.g. Pipeliner, Boilermaker, structural steel, construction, ship builder, etc..
I can tell you this, if you have confidence in your ability, and are willing to perform the duties of the job you are hired to do, to the very best of your abilities, then you will be successful. I have worked with quite a few TWS grads, some are pretty good welders, and others, well, lets just say another career choice for them is advisable, its like my Father used to tell me, most anyone can run a bead, but not everyone can weld. One more thing, if your choosing the welding career for the money aspects, don't, there are better paying careers out there with a whole lot less DIRT, don't get me wrong, I love welding and it has given me the means to provide for my family and raise my kids, and I'll probably retire in the field, but just keep your options open and don't turn away advice from others, know-alls don't last long. sorry about the lengthy response, Good luck. Steve
Parent - - By Michael1227 Date 12-04-2005 06:13
Steve, thanks for that bit of information...I can remember at my earliest memories watching my grandfather weld. I always had a fascination with it. Money is not really a driving force, though, it is an aspect. I love building, working with my hands, and plain hard work. That's part of why I want out of IT, I'm sick of the desk and computer. I worked hard since I can remember (farm work, and odd labor jobs), and as of late I get no satisfaction in my computer job. Like I said earlier the unknown in switching careers at 29 is a little scary. Man, I wish I would have gone to TWS when I was just out of high school, I'd be seasoned by now....lol
Parent - By weldo (*) Date 12-04-2005 09:27
Enjoying working with my hands and metal has always been my driving force, and then standing back and looking at the finished product, probably one of my favorite jobs, was working at a fab-shop in a steel mill, reason being is, that from day to day I didn't know for sure what I would be working on, we built and repaired equipment for the mill, also was able to dabble on the design of some of it, I worked with, pipe, cast, stainless, aluminum, copper, and of course, carbon steel, I learned alot there, and that's something I always look at in a job, what can I learn? Or, what have I learned? Something else that my Father drummed into my head, you're never too old to learn.
Anyway, nice chatting with you, and best of luck.
Stay confident in your ability.
Steve
Parent - - By Cat Mechanic (*) Date 12-04-2005 14:54
Michael,
Your comment about school not quite preparing you for the workforce is accurate in most fields. Most schooling gives you the basics to build on but real on the job experience is what really builds your career. It was the same for me when I went to my local community college for mechanics. Now after 20yrs I've learned quite a bit and still learning. As far as welding, I started learning that about 15 yrs ago when I made the switch from auto wrenching to heavy equipment. Again I've gotten proficient but I'm still learning! I've had three "heavy iron" welders who have helped me along the way. They are all good teachers.

One good way to help you into the field is to look into the union apprenticeship programs. This gives you training specific to the field you want to be in along with the on the job experience you need. I'll guarantee you will learn more from the journeyman you work with than all the schooling. The advantage to the apprenticeship is you have a job that allows you to learn and doesn't expect you to know it all the first day. Granted the union may not be for everybody and depending on your area it may be difficult to get in, but it's one option that may work for you.

I know how hard it is to make a major job change. This spring I made the jump from fixing dirt equipment for the past 15 yrs to operating cranes. Been a good move so far, easier on the body sitting in that seat instead of climbing all over that big equipment. Plus the company I'm working for has me doing the welding repair and fab work that needs done which I really enjoy doing.

Good luck in your career!
Jim S
Parent - - By Michael1227 Date 12-04-2005 22:41
Thank you all, for all the input. Jim, the union is something that I'm seriously considering. A couple of my instructors have suggested the local Plumbers and Pipefitters, and I'm thinking I might go ahead with it. I know I might not get paid "great" for a while, but like you said the experience is worth the time put in. Plus, I'm more concerned with the on the job experience and building a new career, as opposed to, the $$$$. Again, thank you all for your replies......Michael
Parent - - By Cat Mechanic (*) Date 12-05-2005 01:46
Michael,

If you get into the union, try to get yourself with a journeyman you can get along with well. If you find one, do everything you can to make his job easier, show him a lot of ambition and a desire to learn. This will help you two ways, you will learn the trade and he will do everything he can to keep you working with him and help you along your career path. I've got a friend in the fitters that summed it up pretty well(he worked with one journeyman his whole apprenticeship)"make him look good and he'll make you look good".

Also a quote my Dad used to tell a lot of apprentices the Operators union would send out to work for him,"You need to get good before you get fast". Don't rush to get a job done, take your time to do it right the first time. If you've got time to do it over, you had more than enough time to do it right the first time.

Again good luck and keep us posted on how things are going!
Jim S
Parent - By xxpurebredxx Date 10-27-2006 02:55
The union pays great.... I dont know why there are so many people against unions. The local 208 in Denver has a 5yr welding apprenticeship program, and start their guys off at 26 an hour. The great thing about the unions, is they do a variety of jobs, and you continue your education throughout the 5yr course.
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 10-27-2006 11:32
Michael,
You haven't said anything about your preference in work location.  Houston is a hot market right now for all sorts of tradesmen, as the oil and gas industry is going full blast.  Every fabricator has signs out for welders.  Would you be interested in heading a bit south?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-27-2006 21:32
He's right, everywhere you go a welder is in demand.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advice for a new guy...