Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Vertical Stringers
- - By NewPipeWelder Date 12-04-2005 10:28
Hi,
Just a quick question about Vertical stringer beads, that lately i have been having problems with. Can you run them straight up with the 1/8 rod at a 90 degree? Or slightley move back and forth to smooth out weld?
Asking because CWB inspector rejected a full weave on 3/8 plate.
Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2005 12:42

Thats really two questions.

If you can weave at all or must run stringers should be spelled out in your welding procedure specification (WPS). You should have access to this. If the rejecting inspector was correct in busting your weld than his reasoning should be found on this paper.

As far as technique goes. A vertical weld with upward progresion with 1/8 (lets say E7018 since you did not mention electrode type) can be done both stringers and weaves. My suggestion if stringers are required is not to oscillate any more than the electrode diameter to flatten out the bead. Weather a full weave may be done or not is a matter that will be spelled out in the Welding Procedure Specification.
Parent - By NewPipeWelder Date 12-05-2005 09:03
Thanks Lawrence,
Yes it was 7018 rod
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-06-2005 23:10
If the WPS specifies a particular travel speed/heat input, you need to be able to maintain that same rate of travel along the joint even if you weave a little. If your weave was wide, you probably busted the heat input requirements. Not that they couldn't just as easily have written a different WPS for the same application that would allow this.
Parent - - By reza_gallehdari Date 12-26-2005 19:25
Dear lawrence:
Hi
I wanted to ask you a question:
can we use E6013 Electrode for vertical and ceiling welding in a 10 level steel structure?
Or we only have to use E7018?
I would be pleased if you help me.
my email is: r_gallehdari@yahoo.com
thanks.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-30-2005 05:50

Sorry for the late response Raza

Honestly I can't possibly answer such a question with authority.

Most buildings that are 10 stories in height must meet structural codes set forth by state, counties or federal government. Of course if your not in the U.S. none of that applies.

In the last 30 years or so critical structures have been joined by low hydrogen electrodes (such as E7018). The E6013 electrodes are often used in non critical situations such as light farm equipment or for sheetmetal when minimum penetration is important. I would not ever suggest E6013 for a building.

Having said that. Your rod may be correct for attach points on a thin metal roof. But a qualified structural engineer who is in full knowledge of all variables and code requirements must make those decisions.
Parent - - By lewis edwards (*) Date 12-06-2005 00:42
You also have to watch your arc length . The rod manufactur type too . Most likely 7018 . I used some lincoln " excalaber " that needed to have a litle arc length to it to run in it's sweet spot , it welded easier vert. up stringers than regular lincoln 7018 . I used some old blue mckay 7018 rods that ran fantastic . For the root pass on a plate test with a back-up strip we welded at 115 to 120 amps with a slight U weave . this weave was very thinly aplied . Are you shore that you didn't have spaces between your weaves ?
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 12-06-2005 02:02
How wide of a weave are we talking? Was your weave far wider than your joint? If so the concern might have been heat distrabution or travel speed.
Parent - - By NewPipeWelder Date 12-07-2005 11:04
The weave was not too wide probably half inch. looked real nice not wide over the edges of the plate. The rods were 7018 blue shield.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 12-14-2005 02:47
What does the CWB inspector want?
Parent - By lincoln200 Date 12-14-2005 23:53
I believe the CWB inspector wants to see reasonable heat input on the 3GF test coupon. The best wat to do that is to run stringers. Or, you can run two weaves keeping reinforcement to 1/8" maximum in either case.
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 12-16-2005 15:36
Based on my experience with CWB reps and the req'ts that CSA W59 only allows a weave of 2.5 times the electrode diameter, I think that this was the reason for the rejection... typical they tell you why.

As for your questions about stringers and the CSA W47.1 plate test - a number of my CSA certified clients have welders welding vertical stringers...
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-19-2005 19:34
My suggestion using 7018 is to use a triangular weave for heavy single pass welds. For multi pass welds, first deposit a stringer bead by using a slight weave. Deposit additional layers with a side to side weave, hesitating at the sides long enough to fuse out any small slag pockets and to minimize undercut. Don't use a whip technique or take the electrode out of the molten pool. Travel slowly enough to maintain the shelf without causing the metal to spill. Use currents in the lower portion of the acceptable range.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Vertical Stringers