Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Shim or Fill Plates
- - By RBeldyk (**) Date 12-05-2005 19:13
I am looking for a reference (AWS or AASHTO)that limits the number of shim or fill plates that can be used to fill a gap. For exapmple; if I have a gap between two members that is 3/8" can I use two shim plates on 1/8" and another 1/4"

--------------+
////////////////|
////////////////| plate
--------------+---+
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\| 1/8" shim
------------------+----+
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/|
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\| 1/4" shim
-----------------------+-------
////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////// beam flange
////////////////////////////////////
-------------------------------
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-07-2005 14:43
Richard,

I'm assuming that you are asking about shims at bolted shear connections. If so, a shim equal to or less than 1/4" thick may be used without reduction in bolted connection strength (See the green ASD Manual, @ Section J6). Anything over that is subject to reduced connection capacity and should be reviewed by the EOR. If you don't have access to the manual, I'd be happy to scan J6 and email it to you. It addresses both bolted and welded filler conditions.
Also, in the 2004 AWS D1.1, in Section 2, Design Of Welded Connections, refer to 2.10 Filler Plates, and look at 2.10.1 thru 2.10.3, and also look at Figures 2.1 and 2.9.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-07-2005 16:10
It is also addressed in the 3rd edition of the LRFD manual on page 9-14.
For the effect of the fillers and shims on the design strength of the connection see RCSC Specification Section 5.1.
HTH,
John Wright
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 12-07-2005 16:58
Thank you for the response.

This connection is welded rather than bolted.

I have a customer that stated that only one shim plate could be used in the connection, that is to say not stacked up (i.e 1/*" + 1/4" for a 3/8" shim). He stated that it is in AWS D1.5 or AASHTO. Though I do not remember ever reading this requirement, no one's memory is infallible. Hence, I posted the question to see if I missed something when I read those tomes.

Rich
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-07-2005 18:23
AASHTO references D1.5 for welded filler plates.

In D1.5, look at 2.5 and Figs 2.1 and 2.2. I read those frowning upon the use of filler plates when joining tension and reversal of stress members except where allowed by design, and as prohibiting filler plates less than 1/4", if they will transfer stress. Also that filler plates 1/4" or thicker must extend past the joint enough to allow for a sufficient amount of weld.
And there is a bit more to it than I just described that would need to be considered.

So, in my opinion, the use of multiple filler plates is not automatically prohibited in every case, but your situation would not be acceptable because there is no way to use 2 plates without one of them being less than 1/4" thick. That is, unless the plates do not transfer stress.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-07-2005 18:49
To add to Chet's post, you'll need to size the shims long enough or wide enough to get enough weld to transmit the load required.
John Wright
Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 12-09-2005 18:15
I think the poster answered his own question, by noting his customer has told him (I assume in the contract) that only one shim plate could be used in this particular connection. If this is the case - then whatever it says in D1.1 or any other code is irrelevant. Only one shim plate is allowed.

As you might guess, my perspective is from the customer's view.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-08-2005 13:17
Question:
Does AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction) say something on the matter? Anyone knows?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-08-2005 13:26
Hi Giovanni,
Yes, the AISC addresses this issue. Swnorris and myself gave references to the AISC's manual of steel construction both the ASD 9th edition(allowable stress design) and the LRFD 3rd edition(load and resistance factor design).
John Wright
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-08-2005 17:40
Thank you John, not living in the USA, I didn't know what ASD and LRFD meant.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-08-2005 18:38
You're welcome. :)
John Wright

edit: to add "RCSC" stands for Research Council on Steel Structures which governs the design/installation/inspection of bolted connections.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Shim or Fill Plates