Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API1104 WELDER QUALIFICATION
- - By nagarajan.v Date 12-06-2005 11:57
We are in a postion to qualify welders for our pipe line project. We wanted to qualify some of the welders for fill and cap passes alone.
The project specification states API1104 to be followed.
API 1104 , to my knowledge not clearly specifies About qualification of one or more welders in a single coupon .
Can any one clarify that pipeline welder can be qualified for fill and cap passes alone?
(We are going to qualify welders for full section thickness of pipe also apart from fill and pass welders).

nagarajan.v
Parent - By chall (***) Date 12-06-2005 13:02
This is an interesting question. I have been involved in several projects that were governed by the API 1104 code, but have never encountered this issue.

I looked through the 19th edition briefly and in my opinion, what you desire is not authorized by the code.

To do what you want, you would have to qualify the welder for open root welding, in accordance with either 6.2 (single qualification), or 6.3 (multiple qualification). Once qualified, you can make assignments for who does the root and hot passes; and who does the fill and cap based on whatever criteria you want.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
Charles
Parent - By JKW Date 12-11-2005 22:07
API 1104 not cleary specify regarding your problem but client need to approve your welders qual. for fill and cap passes only.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API1104 WELDER QUALIFICATION