Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Steel Turning Rolls
- - By gsi (**) Date 12-07-2005 19:39
We have some large pipe that requires a 200 F preheat. The welders keep burning the rubber wheels on the turning rolls. Which cost money to repair. The pipe weighs in completed around 45000 lb. I use to work in a pipe shop that used steel rolls. Does anyone have any opinion steel vs. rubber?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-07-2005 19:55
there might be a few considerations on whether the steel wheels will work in your application. Is the pipe concentric weight wise, meaning does it have any branch connections that might make it heavier in spots as you are rolling it? If it has weight off center it may want to slip as it is rolled. The only other thing that I can think of that might be a consideration would be how picky your customer might be if the pipe is stainless and they are worried about the contact between the drive wheels and the pipe. Just a thought, aevald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-07-2005 19:58
Well, just a few comments; with the pipe rotating on steel wheels you will likely be plagued with arc marks from contact and, it's my opinion that the rubber wheels will give a smoother "ride" during rotation resulting in potentially less rework.

Finally, if you ever wanted to use this arrangement for stainless steel you'd probably not be able to....
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-07-2005 21:35
I agree with the arc marks up to a point, but if they placed the ground on the pipe itself, why would it arc through the steel wheels? Obviously they are grounding to the pipe itself because they were using rubber wheels.
John Wright
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-07-2005 21:50
MICARTA wheels. Expensive but well worth it.
Parent - By Dave (**) Date 12-09-2005 12:40
200 F doesn't seem to be excessive for the wheels on welding rolls. Are you sure your welders are not overheating or applying the heat to close the wheels?
Parent - By testweldguy (**) Date 01-06-2006 05:54
Hey, I got some of those steel wheels I'll let you have for cheap. If yalls interested I could maybe send you a pic of them ??? I think that I'm quite sure that they would hold the weight... How high do they need to be ??? Or maybe not ????
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Steel Turning Rolls