Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / TIG(GTAW) Welding Help
- - By OkanYunus Date 12-08-2005 16:07
Hello,

I am a senior mechanical engineering student at Istanbul and I am doing a research project about TIG welding. For my project, I need different applications of the process. If anyone can help, I would be thankful.

Thanks to all
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 12-10-2005 01:37
Tig is used for a large variety work, I have used it for welding race car chassis, aluminum engine block repair, pressure vessels, copper exhaust hoods, stainless exhaust headers for racing engines, racing radiators, as well as repairing injection molds. There are thousands of applications where tig is the correct process to choose.

pjs
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-10-2005 08:26
TIG, also called Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) is used extensively in the piping industry. TIG is mainly used to weld the first and second pass on most large bore piping (where applicable) then completed with SMAW;FCAW, etc. It is used quite extensively to weld exoitic metals. This process is clean and requires very little grinding, if done properly.
Dan
Parent - By goodyr1 Date 12-10-2005 14:27
To get the full application procedures for GTAW process, including description, process limitations, process advantages, equipment, etc., and everything else you would want to know, let me suggest the AWS Welding Handbook, Vol. 2, Welding Processes, 8th Edition. That book should answer any questions you have about GTAW. It goes into great detail about all aspects of TIG.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-12-2005 17:46
Hi OkanYunus!

Try this website: http://millerwelds.com/education/bookspamphlets.html

You can download a TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) handbook...
GTAW is the AWS acronym that stands for Gas Tungsten Arc Welding.
In this website, they also have a flash video of TIG welding fundamentals.

You can also do a "Google" search for the "History of Welding" website where you can find out who invented this and other welding processes.

Good luck!
Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / TIG(GTAW) Welding Help