Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Daily inspection %
- - By firstpass (**) Date 12-08-2005 17:58
What is the minimum inspection required per welder per day according to 1104. I have been unable to find any reference to a specific number or percentage of welds per welder per day. Any clarification would be appreciated.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 12-08-2005 18:22
I do not have a copy of 1104 but my best guess would be that it is the same as AWS D1.1 and you have to visually check 100% of all welds.
Parent - By azweld Date 12-08-2005 23:04
Granted my API 1104 Code is not current but in Section 5 paragraph 5.1 it states " The Company shall have the right to inspect all welds by nondestructive means or by removing welds and subjecting them to mechanical tests. The inspection may be made during the welding or after the weld has been completed. The frequency of inspection shall be as specified by the company."
Parent - By chall (***) Date 12-08-2005 18:40
As the contractor, API 1104 makes no reference to your responsibility to inspect welds.

Section 8.1 (of the 19th edition) allows the owner the right to inspect as much as they want.

Another thing to consider is the responsibility of the Pipeline owner. In the US, pipeline safety is the responsibility of DOT. DOT (by the 2001 Pipeline Safety Act) put 100% of the responsibility for safety on the owners. All "covered activities" (those that may have any impact on safety) must be performed by qualified personnel. DOT allows the owner to establish training, assessment and certification standards for those covered activities. In practice, the DOT representative who visits a site or reviews the program, will make recommendations for change if he/she feels they are needed (in short there is some subjectivity in this program).

I'm carrying on about all that just to make this point, the owner should be consulted for guidance in this matter. The API projects we have worked on have all been handled the same way: The owner inspects 100% of the welding. Knowing that, we assign our own CWI to look all of our work over before the owner gets there.

Charles
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-08-2005 18:44
I don't have a copy of 1104 either and would venture to guess that it would be similar to the paragraph in AWS D1.1:2004 6.9.
John Wright
Parent - - By firstpass (**) Date 12-09-2005 19:02
Thanks for the replies. Upon further searching it can be found in CFR 192 and 195. Depending on the class or location of line certain amount of percentages are required. The minimum would be 10%.

Parent - By chall (***) Date 12-09-2005 19:27
Owner or Operator's responsibility to comply with 192 and/or 195.

The owner may in fact require certain inspection practices of you, but they may not delegate responsibility for compliance with the CFR to you.

Charles
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Daily inspection %