Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Inspection Forms
- - By NEQA (**) Date 12-12-2005 20:19
Am looking for weld inspection forms that my inspectors can use. Looking for forms on VT, PT, MT, UT, and RT. Before creating my own, thought the inspectors here might a source for these forms.

Parent - By mksqc (**) Date 12-12-2005 21:25
DI.I HAS ALL THE SAMPLE FORMS YOU NEED
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-13-2005 13:58
NEQA,

We have some forms for MT, PT, UT that were created in Excel and then pasted into a Word document as a worksheet object. This makes them very easy to modify to a particular application or Code. They are also e-mail friendly.

To satisfy recent changes in ASME Code reporting requirements, we also have a separate procedure/technique sheet with some of the additional required information.

If you are interested, post your e-mail addy and I will send them to you.

~thirdeye~

Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 12-13-2005 17:57
LL777@yahoo.com

Thanks...........................
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2005 20:57
Different jobs have different reporting requirements. I generate forms that are specific to the work being inspected. The type of information needed and the types of discontinuities that have to be evaluated are different for each type of work. I have report forms for structurl steel, pressure vessels, and military work. For instance, is full material traceability required? If so, the inspection report should include the heat numbers of each component. Some projects assign weld joint identification to each welded joint. My reports include that information if the joint identification is on the drawing.

I use MSWord to develop a tabular format includes specific VT attributes, i.e., discontinuities, that are reportable or the basis of accepting or rejecting the weld. For instance, ASME does not include "undercut" or "spatter" as discontinuities. Therefore, the inspector can't reject work for either discontinuity. MIL-STD-2035A includes the attributes "undercut" and "spatter" as well as different acceptance criteria for class 1, 2, and 3 welds. That information has to be included, i.e., weld class, as well as "undercut" and "spatter", along with cracks, porosity, etc. that is included in the acceptance criteria.

The best advise I can provide is to suggest you review the reporting requirements for the type of work you inspect. Develop a report format that works for you and your people, keeping in mind that your report has to be read by an individual that may not be familiar with welding. In addition to the checklist mentioned above, some situations demand more detail that can be best addressed by a written description of the condition observed with a sketch or a photograph. My reports usually include a photograph, taken with a digital camera, of any weld or condition I reject.

Rest regards - Al

Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Inspection Forms