Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Looking for the elusive "COPPER SPOON"!
- - By makinsparks Date 12-12-2005 21:22
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Lincoln 135 mig at a garage sale and have become addicted! Besides achieving Godlike power through the ability to melt raw steel together (insert Tim "The Toolman" Taylor primal grunts here), I am single-handedly making my local welding supply store owner a very wealthy man (he's starting to refer to Bill Gates as "poor ol' Bill"), and of course my steel supply store has a new Ferrari sitting in front of it also.

However, even though my arrival at any of the suppliers is greeted with a red carpet lined with rows of trumpeters, and virgins throwing rose petals before my feet, no one has, or knows where I can get a copper spoon. Though I don’t even know what a copper spoon looks like, I know I NEED one! After all, I have read about them on this and other welding forums, so acquiring one is as essential as my need for every size and composition of wire ever made with gun liners for each, and every variation of gas mixture available. If I can’t find a copper spoon soon, I will surely perish!

Seriously though, I want to fill several trim attachment holes in some body panels on a car I’m restoring, and even though I’ve practiced on scrap panels by drilling and filling about a trillion holes, I have read, and been told that a copper spoon is the only way to go, but I can’t find one at any welding, metal, or auto body supply stores (I generally get a puzzled stare, as though I have asked for an “atomic widget”, or asked them to explain how a woman thinks). The internet has proved equally useless, as any combination of “welding”, “copper spoon”, “auto body repair”, etc., generally turns up “hotel rooms in Vegas” (as does ANY internet search). So where can I find this Holy Grail of welding supplies?

Lastly, even though I know that if I ever find this elusive copper spoon, I will instantly become a master welder, and never burn through the metal again, how exactly am I supposed to use it? Does it pass its mystical welding prowess to me by simply possessing one, or do I have to eat with it to attain its power? Or am I supposed to threaten my welder with a sound “copper spoon” beating if it doesn’t start producing perfect welds. Any help on obtaining and using one will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-13-2005 01:37

Wow,

Way to wax loquatious!

Been in the thin metal business for years and never heard of a copper spoon.

However,

Drum roll please,

Ta Daaa

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=1181&keyword=19038

Now for the catch.

Better than copper spoons are golden nuggets of wisdom.

Your nugget is as follows. Look at the picture and make your own clamping device and buy sheet of copper of 0.035, 0.063, 0.093 and .125 thicknesses for your various hole filling and heat sink needs.

Your local HVAC supplier may have what you need. Check them before you hit Home Depot. They are pretty spendy on sheet metal.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 12-14-2005 02:02
Lawrence:
You are the man!!! You find all the cool stuff.

I would also make my own, but that is just me being cheap.
pjs
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-13-2005 07:07
Any old piece of copper will work. I've seen an old cable lug used. A piece of copper tubing hammered flat, or better yet to the shape of the back of whatever you're trying to fill in. Ask a plumber for some scrap.
Bill
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-13-2005 15:36
I use both of the practices listed above. The copper pipe hammered flat works great on almost all gaps from angle iron joints, to sheet butts, 12 gage and thicker. The "spoon" or thin sheets as Lawrence has suggested work best for thinner sheets and auto body panels. This might not make you a great welder, but it will save you many hours of filling holes and uncontrolled burn through.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-28-2005 18:37
One word of caution; for "critical" applications copper can (does) have a deleterious effect on weld metal so any residual copper is best to be completely removed to clean, shiny metal and then rewelded from the effected side. I know this little tidbit probably doesn't apply in this set of circumstances, but is offered for information purposes.
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 09-15-2006 14:14
Try the Eastwood company, they have all that car restoration hobby stuff.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-08-2006 08:54
You should give up welding and start writing. However, your simply looking for a dissimilar metal that won't stick to the weld metal. brass will work as well without some of the negative effects of copper. If you really want to satiate the welding gods get a tig unit.
As an example, I've seen a 1" nozzle stub for a pressure gage welded via drilling a hole in the parent pipe, inserting a brass plug, and welding around the brass plug. punch out the plug, drill it for clean and viola, instant nozzle. Why? because they could is all I know.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Looking for the elusive "COPPER SPOON"!