Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PASSED THE CWI EXAM (BARELY) THANK YOU
- - By P3RDEGREE Date 12-14-2005 21:50
I would like to express my appreciation to the folks who make the posts on this forum because without it I would not have passed. I was able to get good insight as to what to study and went and made contact with a CWI who helped me prepare (on his own time)he also let me borrow his "Welding Inspection Technology" Book . I Bought "B1.11" Guide for the Visual Examination of Welds, "B1.10" Guide for the Nondestructive Examination of Welds, and The "Welding Inspection Handbook". I also attended the seminar. My company had the D1.1 Codebook(need to learn your way around a reference not memorize it). Here's what worked for me ... Study, Ask Questions, Study, Go see if you can examine welds in your shop ,study, go find material standards & specs, check out filler metal specs, also pay attention & take notes at the seminar and Study some more. I also met good study partners at the seminar.Serious as the Plague.
Parent - By tito (**) Date 12-14-2005 21:58
congrats!
"barely"? You passed, that's all that matters.
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-15-2005 04:27
No one ever asks how many questions you missed when you present your card. You passed, congratulations. It took me 3 times missing the code book by one question the first 2 times and having nearly perfect scores on the other two parts of the tests. Again, congratulations and good luck.

Mike
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-15-2005 11:37
Congrats! :)
John Wright
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-15-2005 13:47
From an old, old time CWI, congratulations, many doors will begin opening for you soon but if you'll take one more bit of advice; the CWI is ONLY the beginning, there is so much to learn in our field you will never learn it all!

I've been a CWI continuously since 1981 and the one thing that keeps me interested in our line of work is that it offers continual learning! I might further suggest becoming INTIMATE with the codes and standards you intend to deal with, this will set you aside and ahead of those who simply "passed the test."
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-15-2005 19:08
P3RDEGREE,

Congrats on passing the test!! You are correct in that the sharing of information is very valuable to all of us.

If you haven't discovered it in the archives check out the link below and the post by Chet Guilford. It surfaces from time to time and it is great advise.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=5294#24342

Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Parent - By P3RDEGREE Date 12-19-2005 14:41
Wow! I've now printed it out also and put it my binder where I keep personal reference info. I hope to be as wise (someday).
Parent - - By jason4190 Date 01-04-2006 23:02
how long did it take for you to find out if you passed the test???
Parent - By P3RDEGREE Date 01-05-2006 17:10
I was stressed-It was supposed to be 6 weeks but I received it about a week and a half early. I waited a while before I actually decided to publicize it here. Took Exam on August 27th in Charlotte,NC Received Result in October.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PASSED THE CWI EXAM (BARELY) THANK YOU