Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding Test
- - By KentuckyWelder Date 12-15-2005 01:55
Im looking for some advice in taking a stick welding test that consisted of 2 3/4 inch plates (beveled) tacked together at a 45 degree angle tords the welder. im only allowed to use a 7018 rod. i took this test once but failed and now im nervus about taking it again. I would be grateful for any and all advice recieved.
Thanks,
Justin
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-15-2005 04:13
From what I understand, the test plate will be placed in a postion that is about half way between vertical and overhead, and this is the postion you will weld in, overhead and vertical at the same time, am I correct? Are you putting a backing stip on, or do you have to back grind or gouge and reweld? Are they going to X-ray or bend? What size rod are you allowed to use, one size or several?

Mike
Parent - - By KentuckyWelder Date 12-15-2005 16:17
You are correct in the placement. there will be a backing strip and im only allowed to use a 1/8 7018 rod. ohh and its a bend test
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 12-16-2005 01:01
Open the gap as wide as the code will allow. This will avoid trapping slag. You should set your heat first on a piece of scrap if possible.

Sounds like a DOT test for bridge welding? I took one some years back. The first pass is the critical one. Your heat needs to be hot enough for complete fusion without trapping slag.

Is it XRAY or bend test? Can you use a grinder? If you can use a grinder, make sure you get ALL the slag out after the first few passes.

Hope this helps and yes, I still get nervous taking weld tests after 19 years in the trade.
Parent - By KentuckyWelder Date 12-16-2005 21:42
its only a bend test and i am allowed to use a grinder.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2005 20:05
What welding code or standard are you working to? I've worked with a number of welding standards and I haven't run into that particular test.

Al
Parent - - By KentuckyWelder Date 12-16-2005 21:39
im not exactly sure what you mean by code or standard, but this test is a break and bend test for structural certification. im working at a power plant here in Kentucky and i have to weld anything and everything and this test certifies me for all possesions so its critical that i pass.
Parent - By ppreiss Date 01-08-2006 21:55
Hey Justin,

I'm not sure what test number this one is, but I'll call it 3G Inverted. Don't even get nervous, just make sure the root goes on with complete fusion of both sides of the beveled cupon. You can do it by turning the heat up about 10 degrees hotter than would be your typical vertical position (Considering any overhead requires more heat just because of gravity alone). Do little tight circles quickly back into the puddle, or slightly weave between the two, ensuring complete penetraion of both sides. This is typical of an open root, but you have a backing strip, so go bionic. You also have a grinder, the most important part of any weld.

When doing the weld, just stay loose and don't grip onto the stinger, just let it flow. If you can get a cut wheel on the grinder, that helps too. Just be sure and dig into the toe's of the weld to get all of the slag, but dont make thin little cuts, those will become filled with slag on the next pass if you do. Just be neat and relaxed, you'll pass everytime!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding Test