Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Please help! Aluminum weld bad?
- - By RedWhiteandBlue Date 12-17-2005 14:03
I've got a one year old aluminum trailer that has a series of cracks in one area and I think it was just plain bad welding. There are bent square tubes (1" thin wall) that end and were welded to the bed frame (.250 thick approx). The welds have no "waves" to them but look like a big blob going around the tubing. They all cracked right along the welds as well as some right through the center of the welds. Any opinions? I have pictures as well if someone would look at them and give me an answer. The manufacturer wants me to bring it 250 miles to them to repair and if it was just bad welding, I can get it fixed locally and not deal with them. Thanks! Tom
Parent - - By JPM Date 12-17-2005 21:13
Tom more than likely a por job of welding is what is going on if it cracked on the welds it is almost cetainly the falt of the welder that applied the weld and if done properly with the matierial you indicated it should not do that .Have it fixxed localy by a good shop it should be fine.I have worked with alluminum for 17 years and if welded properly the weld would be stronger than the exsisting material around it
Parent - By RedWhiteandBlue Date 12-18-2005 15:16
Thanks. I MIG alot of steel and if it were steel I would immediately blame the weld as you are. I am taking to a place I have used before on Monday so they can look at it/fix.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Please help! Aluminum weld bad?