Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification
- - By CRAMBCD Date 12-19-2005 16:45
I have welders that are qualified no minimum to unlimited up to a wall thickness of .646 / process GTAW. is there any reason they would have to qualify in SMAW?

thank you for any advice on this matter. P.S. if you find or know this info can you refer me to the location of the D.1.1 code that states this.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 12-19-2005 17:00
Assuming you intend to work within the guidelines of any welding code, they would have to qualify in SMAW if you intend to have them use that process. Otherwise, there is no need.

Charles
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-19-2005 18:04
In D1.1, Table 4.11, item (1) on page 145 indicates that if a welder changes processes, the welder must be re-qualified for each process that is to be used.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 12-20-2005 18:46
just wondering -how they have an "unlimited up to" a w.t. of .646"?

Isn't "unlimited" ...unlimited?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-20-2005 20:38
Might be sounding like a smarta** here, but doesn't D1.1 limit minimums to 1/8"? Dunno, I guess if the right set of PQR coupons was run it could be unlimited (speaking on the lesser thickness) to .646" GTAW will definately not qualify the welder to run SMAW but if the work warrants then I'd run the SMAW process too, from the original post it seems nearly impossible to answer if SMAW would be needed... dunno what the range of materials is on the job, etc., etc., etc.,
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-21-2005 03:52
Welder qualification limitations are specified by the welding standard or code being used. However, that being said, the welding process is considered to be an "essential variable" by all of the welding standards I've had experience with. If the welder is currently qualified for GTAW, a switch to any other process, i.e., SMAW, FCAW, GMAW, etc. would require requalification. Again, as mentioned in one of the other replies, you only have to qualify the welder for those processes to be used in production.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification