Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Overwelmed
- - By skalkaho Date 12-21-2005 17:49
I could not find this on past topics. But I am hoping this summary has been previously published and someone can point me to an answer.

Is there a breif summary that describes how state and local codes, the D1.1, welder certifications, ASME and any other codes all work together? I hope my question makes sense. I am just looking for a very high level description. I am not a professional welder or a weld engineer but I am a design engineer and I want to reference the D1.1 or WPS's correctly on my misc drawings. And I want to understand what qualifications my welder needs to have. My work may involve tieing into building structure, doing machine design, etc. No pressure vessels.
Thanks for any help.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-21-2005 18:32
You may need the help of a local, knowledgable CWI to help guide you through D1.1, in particular, the Qualification section. What you seem to be asking for would take some considerable time to cover in a single post. But if you have the time you can post some of the more direct questions and we'll be glad to help where we can.
Couple questions to get you started with the welder qualifications:
1) welding process(s)?
2) welding positions required? (ie. no sense qualifiying welders for positions like overhead or vertical if all weldments can be positioned in flat or horizontal positions)
3) types of joints? ie. all fillet welds, or are there groove welds also?
4) thickness of materials to be joined?
5) types of materials to be joined? ie. ASTM #'s

This should get you started, there will be many more to come as you answer these.
John Wright
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 12-21-2005 19:36
This is my 2 cents response to your question. As a design engineer your responsibilities include complying to the required codes and standards. AWS D1.1 contains the requirements for fabricating and erecting of welded steel structures. If you are involved with "tying into building structure" as you say, I would suggest you get very familiar with this code book, as most State Building Codes will require your compliance to AWS D1.1 if you are in fact adding, modifying, or making repairs to a buildings' structural steel.

John Wright explained in detail above the weld qualification aspects. AWS D1.1 is a commonly recognized welding qualification procedure, and if you are not welding pressure vessels as you say, you have no need to reference the ASME code. As a design engineer you should also be familiar with Section 2 of AWS D1.1 , "Design of Welded Connections".

You asked how Codes work together. Codes really do not work together, as they are pretty specific to their intended scope. The ASME Code is specific to boiler and pressure vessels. It is not concerned with the structural steel of the power plant the boiler is housed inside. Sometimes some aspects of one code may be acceptable to another code. For example, some engineers may accept an ASME qualified welding procedure, for a structural steel application.

It has been my experience that the AWS D1.1 Code has become so universally recognized, that State and Local codes typically reference or significantly duplicate the D1.1 Code for buildings, and other welded structures.

Since you mentioned you do machine design, often times machine building companies use D1.1 for control of the welding side of their fabrications.
Hope this helps a bit.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-27-2005 19:37
Strictly speaking, Bill is right. The fact that a welding procedure and/or a welder have been qualified to ASME IX to weld pressure vessels and piping, for example, doesn't mean that they've been qualified to AWS D.1 to weld structural steel.
Now, using their good sense and engineering experience, the contractor and the client (and if there's one, the independent inspecting company also), may agree that a welder approved by one standard doesn't need to be approved by the other to weld different materials.
Example. Back in my days of erector engineer, I've been in charge of the erection of a small sized power plant, a medium sized oil refinery and a large natural gas compressing station; in different periods of time, of course.
In the first and second cases the welders were approved according to ASME IX, and in the third according to API 1104. OK, me, the contractor, and the client, agreed that they didn't need to be qualified
according to AWS D.1 to weld the platforms, walkways, stairs, pipe supports etc. that made part of the installations.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Happy New Year to all of the frequentors of this site.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-27-2005 20:49
Happy New Year to you, Giovanni! I always read your wise input with great enjoyment!
Parent - By jerrykroll (**) Date 12-27-2005 15:42
You might take a look at D1.1 Annex C -
"Guide for Specification Writers" -
it may be of some small help.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Overwelmed