Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / magnetic blow welding monel to steel
- - By Geese_howard (*) Date 12-27-2005 15:15
We are experienced this problem in SMAW welding HY-80 to monel plates
with ENiCu-7 1/8" diameter, butt joint. Arc tends to go to monel side of the joint, or previously deposited beads of NiCu7 when welding near the HY-80 plate, leaving entrapped slag near HY-80 fusion line. Also is more evident after half of the electrode is consumed.
The joint is V-type, 5 mm root opening with monel backing. Plates are
both 18 mm thick. Current is 95 amperes, position vertical up.

Anybody have experienced the same problem, or have any advice i can use?

thanks.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-27-2005 19:42
Magnetic blow doesn't exist when welding with AC (alternating current). Is it possible to use AC in your case?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Happy New Year to all the frequentors of this Forum.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-28-2005 14:23
Mr. Crisi,

Wouldn't that require a new WPS due to a change of a Supplementary Essential Varible if the original WPS used Direct Current?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-28-2005 17:31
I can't answer your question right now. The essential variable in one standard (ASME IX, for example) may not be essential in another one. I should have the applicable standards on hand to give you an answer. In any case, it might be more convenient for Geese to requalify the procedure and get rid of the problem that's bothering him.
On the other hand, QCCWI's suggestion (change the position of the earthing clamp) often works.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 12-28-2005 15:12
You could try moving the ground clamp.Say if the ground is clamped on the monel try clamping it on the HY-80 plate or vice versa.

"This is from my failing memory" The reason it is more evident when half of the electrode is consumed is as the rod gets hotter the resistance in the rod decreases. You could try decreasing the amps which would make it take longer for the heat to build up in the rod and that might make the arc blow not as noticeable or it could stop your problem all together.

Question: Does the slag line start at the halfway point of the rod or does in exist all through the weld?
Parent - By Geese_howard (*) Date 01-14-2006 02:56
Thx for the advice

Yes, slag starts when arc blow start, mainly after half electrode is consumed.
Unfortunely i cant decrease the amps, im already in the minimun specified by the procedure and the electrode manufacturer
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-28-2005 17:54
You may need to demagnitize the HY-80 steel plate before continuing. Once the HY-80 steel plate is demagnitized, use multiple work leads connected to opposite ends of the joint or along the joint to reduce the current density passing through any one point. In this case I would try connecting two work leads to opposite corners, i.e., one lead to the monel and the other to the carbon steel as far from each other as practical.The intensity of the magnetic field is proportional to the current, thus, in general, by reducing the current through a point of contact you will reduce the field intensity by 50% as well.

The fact that the arc is being pushed to the monel is a function of the polarity of the magnetic field that has developed in the HY-80 steel plate. You will have to "destroy" the magnetic field that already exists before the use of multiple work leads will help.

Degausing or demagnetizing the plate can be accomplished by wrapping the HY-80 with several turns of the welding cable. Energize the cables with AC current and slowly step down the amperage of the alternating current. Finally, remove the wraps of welding cable, one at a time while the current is flowing. You can determine the direction of the "magnetic poles" of the HY-80 by suspending a paper clip by a thread and holding it near each side of the HY-80. The paper clip will be attracked more strongly toward the poles of the HY-80. You wrap the leads parallel to the axis of the magnetic poles. The resulting magnetic field (once energized by AC) will overpower the existing remanent magnetic field thus destroying it. The step down technique will prevent the formation of a remanent magnetic field perpendicular to the initial filed.

Hope this helps you.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-28-2005 21:16
If the item is in a jig or fixture that may be magnetized, the magnetic field in the jig/fixture must be removed or reduced, if possible. Also, take into consideration the type of arc blow: magnetic, thermal, and dissimilar metal arc blow. A combination of the three is a very complex situation.
Parent - By Geese_howard (*) Date 01-14-2006 03:04
Well, thats a very interesting technique, i will try it soon (at the time this work is posponed for other reasons (lucky me) ).
¿When you talk about "energizing the welding cable"), u mean i must ground the cable to the plate along with the work electrode?. If u dont do that no current will pass throug the cable, so no magnetic field can be created (if i remember correctly), is this what u mean?.

Thanks for your help
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / magnetic blow welding monel to steel