Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Setting up a device to evacuate smoke
- - By shadowelds (*) Date 12-29-2005 20:26
I want to set up a welding area in my garage, however my bedroom is directly over my garage. Does anyone have any plans (to build my own)?or can you suggest a solution that is premanufactured.
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 12-29-2005 21:51
Cheap solution for some one who will weld inside occasionally;
Get a small shop vac, and enough hose to go from welding area to outside.
Put vac outside, lead hose to weld area.
Mount wide floor attachment for vac to moveable arm.
Place near weldment (above & behind works best).
Turn on vac when welding, a remote switch can be rigged to make this more convenient.
Happy welding!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-30-2005 06:28
A range hood (the thing over a kitchen stove) could help. Look in dumpsters or ask kitchen remodelers you'll probably get one free. You want the kind that vents outside, not just a filter. Usually has lights too, always nice.
bill
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-30-2005 18:31
You might want to consider making a larger version of the kitchen range hood that uses a squirrel cage blower for moving more air quietly. It shouldn't be too difficult to do. Just remember that it will suck the heat out with the smoke.

Chet
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 12-30-2005 19:05
I have toyed with this idea myself. I think the ideal setup for welding smaller stuff would be a small u-shaped enclosure of sheet metal with a bottom, top, and sides. The front would be open for welding. A small, quiet, squirrel cage fan would mount on the top, side, or back depending on the exhuast location. This fan would be controlled by a relay wired in with the welder contactor, or drive motor relay. Low control voltage would be the safest. There would be a timer or heat switch to allow a cetain amount of "post weld" fan operation, and to eliminate short-cycling the fan/relay with each arc strike. The welder would need some type of quick connection to the control relay on the welder. That way the fan could be easily disconnected when not in use, such as when the need to weld large items arises. This would be cool. Oh, and some type of worklight would be desireable too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Setting up a device to evacuate smoke