Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Filing Toe of Weld on Pipe OK?
- - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 12-30-2005 13:38
Looking for feedback on the practice by some welders of taking a file and "scoring" around the pipe at the weld toe to give a clean line apperance. (GTAW and SMAW) I am of the opinion this is basiclly manually-induced undercut and should not be performed.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-30-2005 13:55
My two cents: if this is only for "clean up" and doesn't violate minimum wall thickness or undercut criteria AND has a rounded or radiused bottom, it's okay.

The naval joining center did some research several years back that showed manually induced undercut with rounded, not sharp bottoms produced even better mechanical results than "as-welded" welds.

I'm sure you will hear different opinions but there's mine!
Parent - - By - Date 12-30-2005 16:42
I agree with Jon if you are doing this on carbon or low alloy steels. It is certainly not recommended on stainless steels, though. "Ringing" or "scoring" the toe of the weld on SS can impregnate the oxide layer from the HAZ into the steel and cause microscopic crevices, which can attract corrosive particles especially if you use a carbon steel file.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-30-2005 18:11
Absolutely, I could not agree more Chuck. Thanks for adding that.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-30-2005 18:46
I had a problem with this a while back.
When a proficient welder does this just to dress up the toes, it's no problem and even beneficial.
When a not so proficient welder does this to hide severe undercut and winds up digging an 1/8" or so deep groove in the pipe wall, it's a problem.
I wound up having to ban filing all together on one particular job in order to stop abuse of the process.

Tim
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-30-2005 19:59
Like anything, when excessive, it can be detrimental. I guess my personal opinion (although not requested) would be banning filing altogether also seems excessive.

It just seems like it would be more productive to address the lack of proficiency of that / those welders than to stop what "could be" considered a good practice for an entire job.
Parent - By - Date 12-30-2005 20:41
Tim,
I agree with Jon 100%. Sometimes tying to make something "pretty" can actually have detrimental effects on the integrity of the corrosion resistance and properties of a weld. "Ringing" or "scoring" a weld is strictly for aesthetic purposes and usually does not improve the strength or corrosion resistance of a weld. If abused, it can compromise both. Just a personal opinion, but neither should allowed if only for visual effects.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-31-2005 01:49
The "not so proficient" welders need to be shown the door on any job involving pipe intended for serious use.

JTMcC.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-31-2005 21:43
I haven't seen the practice of filing the toe of the weld recently, but I see it done at a nuclear facility several years ago. The welder, or his helper, would file both the toe and the weld face to form perfect right angles. The reentrant angle at the toe was nice and square with a rise of about 1/16 to 3/32 to the flattened weld face. Not a weld ripple to be seen. Both the welder and the site inspector were proud of the workmanship that went into "cleaning up" the welds.

It was a great place for cracks to develop. When querrird about the practice and the protential problem of toe cracks, the inspector replied, "At least we know where to find them this way!"

No exageration!

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Filing Toe of Weld on Pipe OK?