Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Help with old trindl 260a arc welder
- - By lockcuff Date 01-03-2006 06:21
Hello, i have inherited an old trindl 260A arc welder, its a tap style,
its a 220v 40A input, both the positve and negative side of the electrodes have 6 taps, could someone help to find out how to operate this thing effectivly, and which each tap does for me.
Hope you can help. also the welder dates back to the 40's
Thanks Alot
Dan
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 01-03-2006 14:53
This may prove to be lengthy so bear with me. First I believe you have an AC only machine. You probably have a work and electrode tap connection. You have one set of taps with settings of Highest, High, Medium and Low, this would be the work connection. Or, does your machine have a numbered system of taps? And one set with varying steps or taps of fine current adjustment, this would be the electrode connection. Use an AC voltmeter and measure the open circuit voltage (machine on but not welding) at one of the fine current taps and at each of the Highest, High, Medium and Low taps. This will verify Highest, High, Medium and Low. The open circuit voltage should increase the most with the Low tap. Connect the work lead in the Low tap setting. Then start at the highest fine current setting tap with the electrode connection. Determine this by striking an arc. If an arc is difficult or near impossible to start. Go to the opposite end of tap settings and try that. If there is a real strong arc, it is the highest amperage setting. Now, work down to each tap connection and establish an arc. Very quickly a good welding condition can be achieved.
If you want precise amperage values, for a few dollars a welding machine repair center can load test the machine for each tap setting and record the amperage value. Caution, if they test on a strong 230-240 volt line and you only have 200-208 volts in your garage/shop those values will change.
Parent - - By p309 Date 01-22-2006 16:12
Hello. Regarding the Trindl welder. I have one of these old machines Model 260A.
The tap designations are on a board that lays over the taps, but under the insulators. There is an insulator on each tap, that threads over the tap. The layout is like this: Left side, as you look at the front of the machine is called (by Trindl) the Major Control. For Electrode. Tap on top is number 1. Going clockwise, to number 6. Right side is called the Vernier (Ground). Top tap is designated A, go clockwise to F. Output amps is as follows: IE: Electrode Cable in hole 6, and Ground Cable in Hole F = 260 Amps AC output.
A B C D E F
1 20 22 24 26 28 30
2 32 34 36 38 40 45
3 50 55 60 65 70 75
4 80 85 90 95 100 110
5 120 130 140 150 160 170
6 180 190 200 220 240 260

Other info. Input is 40amps 220V. Transformer is known to be a quality wired, and heavy duty unit. I had this one checked out by a qualified professional, to make sure that all of the windings were ok. I have never used it, but intend to someday. All I lack are the work cables, and some way to replace the insulators that surround the taps.
I would definitely check out all of the wiring insulation, insulators, etc., before juicing the old gal up !! Hope this helped.
Regards,
John
Parent - - By turbo38t (*) Date 01-22-2006 17:20
Are these machines popular? I use a Miller now but I have an old AC only Trindl arc welder....not sure what the maximum amperage is but this is the first time I have ever heard Trindl mentioned besides at my house.
Parent - - By p309 Date 01-23-2006 04:10
Turbo, there seems to be some of these shown at auctions and estate sales from time to time. The guy that checked mine out was a Public Works welder for a city government garage until he retired, and he told me that it was one heck of a machine for it's time. Said that the duty cycle was tremendous, and that it would weld at high amperages all day long. I know from moving the old thing around that it has a heavy as heck transformer in it !
I got mine for almost nothing, in trade for some work. I have been anxious to try it out someday, see how it does.
Parent - By Rich68 Date 02-02-2006 13:20
I have a Trindl 125A, which is a 125 Amp, 110/220v unit. Controls work as posted by p309.

I have a question for the group: While the unit is in mint condition, the cables have been lost. What are the proper cable ends for those (roughly) 1/8" sockets?

Thanks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Help with old trindl 260a arc welder