Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Inspection
- - By kseise Date 01-04-2006 16:30
Per AWS D17.1 paragraph 6.1.1, NDE personnel shall be qualified in accordanc with SNT-TC-1A or other NDE standard that is satisfactory to the Engineering Authority. We use NAS 410 as our standard. Is there any requirement in any of these standards that states radiographic inspection must be performed by a Level III qualified technician? We currently send our welder qualification test pieces to an outside testing laboratory to have their Level III personnel inspect the x-rays to determine if the weld is acceptable. But we have x-ray technicians qualified to Level II and would like them to inspect the x-rays. Does anyone know of a reason we cannot have our Level II technicians inspect these x-rays?
Parent - By tito (**) Date 01-04-2006 18:05
Per snt-tc-1a a level II is qualified to perform tests and evaluate the results. This is the case with most NDT standards. A basic breakdown is this: A level I can perform test to written procedures under the direct supervision of a level II or III, and results are to be evaluated by the level II or III. A level I cannot accept or reject. A level II can perform and evaluate tests to written procedures. A level III can perform and evaluate tests, and can also write and qualify procedures. The different levels are based on training and experience.

I'm not familiar with NAS 410 but most codes/standards will allow a level II to have responsibility to perform and evaluate tests.

Why would you require a level III to evaluate radiographs for welder qualifications? Is this stated in your QC Manual? Do you have a QC manual? If so, read what it says about NDT personnel. There should lie your answer.

Hope this helps, but I'm sure others will guide you more correctly than me, and explain/reference paragraphs that might apply in your situation.

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-04-2006 18:06
It is my understanding that in TC-1A the "working level" is the Level II, Level III is primarily a supervisory position to oversee the Level II's and to write any special testing procedures that may be required. Your Level II's should have a Level III that they work under, either you have to contract out your Level III services(like we do here) or have one in-house. HTH
John Wright
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 01-05-2006 22:35
A level III may or may not be qualified to perform the test. Often Level IIIs don't have the continuing hands-on experience required. Level III doesn't automatically include Level II; they'd need to maintain both certifications.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Inspection